To Purchase a Mini or Not

Hello All. With the new rules we have now and possibly in a couple of years time I have been thinking of getting a Mini because of the more relaxed rules concerning them plus one comes with ADS-B, do you think that that adittion will be a must for mini’s to come or will the CAA not bother with introducing that into drones being flown in the UK.

I currently fly for most of the time a M2P purely just for pleasure down here in Cornwall close to Redruth in fact the M2P has never been flown in anything but normal flying mode no tricks, the North coast is just a short flight away so plenty of free space for the M2P.

I love reading your letters, pictures and video and of course it’s a learning platform and so I thank you in advance for bothering to comment on my letter.

John from Sunny Cornwall.

2 Likes

Neither of the current DJI Mini drones come with ADS-B.

I’ve not seen any mention of CAA requiring this at any point either. It would be near impossible to retro fit on a lot of self builds and other aircraft types.

Are you having problems finding places to fly the Mavic 2 Pro? Hence looking at a Mini? :thinking:

I’m trying to understand the reason you’d want to purchase one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have ADS-B on my DJI FPV an its a nice gimmick, but I only get warning of planes when I’m flying near DSA (big planes) nothing little uses it and the DJI only receives the signal, it does not transmit.

1 Like

Hello My Friend. The only reason I’m thinking of buying a 249gm drone is just for less hassle, but as milkman has said is a gimmick and be sure I’m not planning to shake hands with a 747 so perhaps I will stay with the M2P. Thanks

1 Like

I think every drone user should have one even if you own another more advanced drone. There are always going to be circumstances where a sub 250 will come in handy and they are cheap for what they can do.

Lewis

1 Like

I’ll sell you mine Jon if you are interested

Thank you my friend, I’ll keep it in mind to be truthful I’m waiting for the Hubsan mini pro to come out maybe before Christmas dur to chip problems. Thanks.

Yes Lewis I’m tending to agree with you especially if flying with the M2P make it problematically so yes waiting for the Hubsan mini pro to arrive possibly not yet due to chip shortages have flown the X4 109s before, now that drone was a handful and you couldn’t take your eyes off of it for one minute, so in time we will see what happend. happy flying. John

I think the chip shortage problem came along just at the right time for Hubsan coming as it did straight after their horrendous but extremely funny live launch of the thing. Sinse then there has been a complete deathly silence from them with regards to a release date. Have a look at a recent YouTube video by Darren McHardy about it here and as I understand it its going to be twice the weight of a Mini 2 at just under 500gm.

What’s the compelling reason to wait for the Hubsan, let alone stump up money in advance?

Does it do stuff that the Mini 2 doesn’t? Sounds like the Mini 3 might be out by the time we see it?

Lewis

Hi Lewis. Well yes it does with near 40 mins flight time, it’s come at a time when there is a national chip shortage gut Hubsan have offered in good faith free Hubsan care package not that I’m a purchaser as yet I prefer to watch a couple of You Tube reviews before hand, Hubsan have been around a few years now and have quite a following.
The other thing is we are not quite sure that the DJI 3 is going to be a sub 250gm it may well be an upgrade to my M2P which I will not be interested in as it will probably be near £1800-£2000 to purchase, a little to rich for me. John

Hi My Friend. Yes it was quite amusing and the demo people were shocked to say the least but time will tell as I said to Lewis I will wait to see a couple of reviews before I part with my cash. I think you and I could do a better job at introducing anything a lot better than those two did. John

1 Like

Hi All

I spent most of June going around Devon, Cornwall, and a bit of Somerset in my new caravan, I took my M2P and Mini 2 with me, had all the batteries charged up before I went, I have posted around 5 360 panos and a couple of videos all shot with the Mini.

The M2P never came out of the bag, it was just so much easier to get the Mini in the air legally in areas you could never fly the M2P, you can fly it virtually anywhere as long as there are no NFZ’s, which happened in one place where it wouldn’t let me take off, just went a couple of miles down the road to get out of the zone.

I came home wondering if I would fly the M2P again, I am in the process of doing the A2 CofC which will allow me to get closer to things, but only upto the end of 2022, then I would have to get a C2 drone to do the same. If DJI are bringing out an M3 then I would assume it would be certified as a C2 drone.

So I am not sure where the future lies for me with drones, part of the reason for getting the caravan was to travel round the country and find some good flying spots. This first trip really showed that there is much greater opportunity with the Mini, like flying up the river in Looe, I would be breaking all sorts of regs with the M2P.

@jonthecourier
So without any reservation I would definitely recommend anyone to get the Mini 2 or its sub 250g follower, mine weighs 243g with nothing on it, but allows adding a pair of cree strobes and still being sub 250g…

1 Like

Sky Jumper. I hope you enjoyed your trip the three county’s offer different vistas but of course we like to think Cornwall is a little better with the two coasts north and south offering very different views, I live close to the north coast near RAF Portreath.
Your views on sub 250’s are mostly like mine and I want to see what Hubsan can produce so waiting for the reviews once out, my first drone was the Hubsan X4 109s it was great but at times a very big handful to fly you never took your eyes of it once or it could get you in trouble so the DJI’s that I have are baby’s compared to the Hubsan. John

1 Like

Hi All.
Well I took the plunge and went with the mini 2 and what good bird it is, I took the view that Hubsan are never going to be better than dji, one great plus with the mini 2 is it’s great in a little wind it just seems to shake it off a lot better than the M2P but I have had an issue with it not wanting to either record or play 4K see another post of mine as it’s work in progress but other than that arise Sir mini 2.

2 Likes

I use to have a P3 and sold it got a Mini 1 and never looked nack, I can carry it anywhere I go and when people see it they never ask why am I flying is it allowed so much more less stress.
I also did hear that in the future mini 1 and and even 3 will be CE marked and thus have certain restrictions on them more control what we do not know but thats the CAA for you ! however the ones for sale now that do not have CE marks will always be treated as sub 250g drones and so when the new regs come in and CE markings I think the current mini’s will be popular.

1 Like

Please don’t confuse CE markings with Class Markings. They are very different things.

Not a single drone manufacturer has yet provided a statement saying their hobbyist drone models will be retrospectively Class Marked.

3 Likes