UK Class Marks, Remote ID and drone regulation changes: What you need to know for 1st January 2026

You seem to be trying to start an argument with anyone you can manage, and I’m not entirely sure why? If you’re not interested in a particular post, scroll past it and move on.

If I’m ordering in a restaurant, I’ll just tell the person serving the food I like, and want to order. I don’t go through the menu telling them everything I don’t like first. Just a thought.

4 Likes

I think it’s a good idea to think of counter arguments, or play devil’s advocate.
However this one may be tricky, as I can’t see for a way to this to not affect the legal drones that are less than 100g without RID. However yep if it’s a certain restricted zone then I’d go as far as to say that this could still be a thing.

I do agree that being able to see other drone flights nearby could be handy, as it could make it easier to prevent mid-air collisions. It may be handy to be able to chat the pilot who’s close by and work out a way to stay in a certain area or for them to be able to notify you then their flight is finished.

1 Like

Yea…. You’re right

I asked the Gemini 2.5 AI engine for any advantages and got this out:

Remote ID for Drones: Unpacking the Advantages for Pilots

The mandatory implementation of Remote ID for drones has been a significant topic of discussion within the drone community. While primarily driven by regulatory and security concerns, the system also presents several advantages for drone pilots themselves, particularly those operating commercially and looking towards future operational capabilities.

Key Advantages for Drone Pilots:

  • Enabling Advanced Operations: Remote ID is widely seen as a foundational technology for unlocking more complex drone operations. This includes flights Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS), operations over people (OOP), and potentially more streamlined access to controlled airspace. By providing a means of identifying and locating drones in near real-time, Remote ID helps build the safety case required for these advanced use cases. For commercial pilots, this opens doors to new business opportunities and more efficient workflows.
  • Enhanced Airspace Safety and Situational Awareness: With Remote ID, all compliant drones broadcast their identification and location information. This electronic conspicuousness can contribute to a safer airspace by reducing the risk of mid-air collisions with other drones or manned aircraft. Pilots gain an increased awareness of other equipped aircraft in their vicinity, fostering a more predictable and secure operating environment.
  • Increased Public Trust and Acceptance: By providing a mechanism for accountability and identification, Remote ID can help alleviate public concerns about drone misuse and privacy. This increased transparency can lead to greater public trust and acceptance of drone technology, which is beneficial for all pilots as it can foster a more permissive regulatory and social landscape for drone operations.
  • Facilitating Regulatory Compliance and Integration: Remote ID provides a standardized way for pilots to comply with identification requirements. In the long term, this technology is a key component in the broader effort to safely integrate drones into the National Airspace System (NAS). This integration may eventually lead to more harmonized and potentially simplified operational rules.
  • Improved Security and Deterrence: While primarily a benefit for security agencies, the ability to identify drones can deter unauthorized or reckless flying. This can help protect responsible pilots from the negative repercussions of illicit drone activities and maintain the integrity of the airspace for legitimate users.
  • Potential for Streamlined Authorizations: In the future, the data provided by Remote ID could potentially streamline the process for obtaining flight authorizations in controlled airspace, as authorities will have a clearer picture of a pilot’s identity and the drone’s location.

Considerations and Pilot Perspectives:

It’s important to note that the reception of Remote ID among drone pilots has been mixed. While many commercial operators recognize the long-term benefits, particularly for expanding operational capabilities, some recreational pilots have expressed concerns regarding privacy, the cost of compliance (especially for retrofitting older drones), and the perceived lack of direct, immediate benefits for their specific use cases.

Despite these concerns, the implementation of Remote ID is a critical step towards a more mature and integrated drone ecosystem. For pilots, the primary advantages lie in the future possibilities it unlocks for more advanced and complex flight operations, alongside the broader benefits of a safer, more secure, and potentially more publicly accepted airspace.

A good Karen will get an operator ID just for the sake of pissing off

Has anyone done any tests to see how much battery RID uses?

On a DJI drone, none at all @thewhoosh

Extra data packets are simply added by software to the existing transmission protocol.

1 Like

Not at all - life’s too short for that sort of crap but when engaged in a dialogue on the forum, anyone quoting what ChatGPT regurgitates to generate the point they’re trying to make, imo can’t really be bothered reading CAACAP docs to get relevant specific info needed to reply with a meaningful response. If your view on my comment about chatgpt is that’s it’s a contentious one, so be it! And the reason for my interest in having a discussion is because a fellow club flyer happens to be IN THE CAA with responsibility for much of this

Yeah, ChatGPT could do something awful like make sweeping statements about people having genuinely held concerns about the impact of Remote ID on their hobby being:

I don’t necessary have an issue with the points you make, but more the manner in which you make them. We’re all trying to have a discussion, which often entails differing views. If we can do that without name calling then it’s a better place all round.

4 Likes

It’d be good to hear feedback from some more @group-fpv members.

What are your initial thoughts of the impact on your flying for all of these changes?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t liken concern over RID to wearing a seat belt or being breathelized.
It isn’t easier to exploit you as a sober driver than a drunk driver, you aren’t opening up an attack vector by wearing a seatbelt while the car is moving (you could get perdantic).
This is more of a privacy concern and issue of technical implementation of a complex system. It’s reasonable to assume complex systems will be exploited, it is pretty well excepted that your personal information has value and can be used against you.
Lots of crypto holders have been followed home and extorted as a result of data breaches and bad opsec, so there isn’t anything tin foil about concern over implementations, especially if they are half baked or pushed through for the wrong reasons.

Always love.

Absolutely … !

Ximi

This post was auto-generated © Ximi 2025

Ok - let’s leave it at cynics, agreed?

1 Like

This is the dawning of the age of the tiny whoop…

The places I enjoy flying are generally in the middle of nowhere. I don’t fly very high or very far. Some of my quads may or may not feature an Operator ID. I may or may not have a spotter with me. I may or may not be fitting RID chips.

4 Likes

I don’t have a massive issue with remote id.

Just glad we don’t have the restrictions of some of the EU, like logging flights, not flying over private property and not flying at night.

I have had to use remote ID in the USA, and can’t say anyone came up to me.

Although I am selling my Mavic 3 Pro - I might get £50 on ebay now that it’s future is unclear :joy:

2 Likes

Ill give ya £60

2 Likes

Given that all of my flights are with a spotter and line of sight only and below 400/1000 feet depending upon number of 4/1 props. Not forgetting I always drive less less 70 mph on motorway. I am sure I will comply.

All self built (wink wink) so not worry until 2028. May look at swapping out my GPS for a GPS with remote ID for a drone I want to fly in a park next to a police officer. The park I fly may be swapped with remote ID tags for some reason. ..

By 2028, I am expecting a self-build option - (like Adupoliot has already) something really easy to add on (like https://formationflight.org/) that I will just strap an extra ‘expresslrs-type’ module on my each of my drones/wings. This extra (HappyModel EP1 - like module) will of course have the best antenna - so I ensure all the people who want to track me can pick my drone out of all the remote ID around the area.

Not worried, “you don’t have to outrun the bear, just the other guy”. I sure I will be more compliant with the dicks that fly over a big crowd.

… Sorry long rant been on the wine.

5 Likes

ok - lots have been said already and I don’t want to repeat the points above. The few points I see personally are:

  1. RID adds complexity and provides ammunition to authorities when they will nail us down on anything that goes wrong. We will need a lawyer each time we fly. This is just a simple way to pile up laws and make the hobby more and more difficult to be enjoyed.
  2. any historical data will make it even easier for an organisation to nail us if we do anything wrong… it will be easy with IOT / big data and most importantly IAs doing deep data mining to identify where we were 1 year ago, and flew at a wrong place.
  3. the issue of cost is not just the hardware. It will be a software and data storage cost at our expense - eg: operator and flyer IDs… one time more. After all, we are milk cows here right?
  4. the effect this will have is pushing us more and more into the hobby flying locations like plane hobbyists, and looking at the US, the solution adopted is to disallow all flying locations, except those approved by the FAA… We cannot be sure we will end up in that extreme circumstance, but this is exactly what seems to be happening slowly and surely.

As I build my quads myself, and fly difficult environments sometimes (eg: bandos) - I already know that the remote IDs hardware will be damaged quickly… voluntarily or not.

Either case, it will just help the usual : prohibition means more risks and pushing the hobby underground.

5 Likes

Anyone like to answer, are drones dangerous :thinking:

Massive cost for a little harmless fun

1 Like