UK Drone Registration Scheme - Consultation now open

If that were the case then it becomes clear on what the real agenda is, they don’t want us doing things they can’t control

So exactly just how free are we?

I’ll be curious how this will effect sales of RC toy grade quads, helicopters and aircraft over 250g. Can a drone/ RC model be sold to a person without them holding a licence? Will the shops be responsible for logging sales with the CAA. What are the chances that the people buying a toy grade RC model will actually register it? You can’t monitor self build RC platforms.

The more you look, the more flawed and pointless this system actually is!

1 Like

I’ve completed the survey but was left with more questions on how this will work.

If its voluntary registration, whats the point? The good people will register and fly safe, but the naughty folk wont take notice and wont bother to register, so what the heck does this achieve?

This will only work if its done at point of sale and is funded by the manufacturers who make millions from the drone sales.

Just my humble opinion.

1 Like

Self build? Parts from several suppliers? :thinking:

2 Likes

So again, if its a voluntary registration, and only the good people register, whats the point of any of this? Persecution of the law abiding?

1 Like

This was on the cards long before Gatwick. It’s part of the new EU harmonised drone regulations.

The UK put it on the back burner after Brexit and was caught with their pants down after Gatwick. Forcing it through comes across as positive action to the general public.

We would have had this regardless of Gatwick.

If you read the EASA draught regulations it’s not designed to catch criminals. It’s to ensure operators have a minimum competence to operate safely.

It definitely could be cheaper but I have a feeling they are trying to cover the cost of research and consultations.

Would be nice for the cost to drop in year 2/3 to cover only the cost of administration but cant see that happening.

2 Likes

Will only ever go up, never down!

4 Likes

Once you own a drone, if you don’t fly it, will the police knock on your door if its not registered every year like it’s a gun?

ShotGun every 5 years and its only £49 and there is a bit more to the registration visit/telephone call pictures checks paperwork

I never thought about the price till reading the above so why yearly not 5 yearly or something else and making it law to change details when move home like driving licence. But like somebody else said this has to be for everybody not just who wants to do it with a fine for people that have no registration and fly

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has seen this yet?

Doesn’t seem like a bad thing if the article is accurate.

Ampsy.

Moved your post over to the pre-existing thread around this topic.

1 Like

Sorry, should have checked first :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem. Just pay the £16.50 fine for thread duplication directly to me… :joy:

4 Likes

Is that per annum? :wink:

2 Likes

more than likely money for the old boys club. you know the way it works:grinning:

I have previous with the CAA / DfT. I was a security manager with an air cargo company, with was regulated by Aviation Security legislation. When the CAA took this over from the DfT, they had a ‘consultation’ with the air cargo companies, and introduced fees for regulated agents. (DfT did not levy charges). The fees involved were astronomical. The Air Cargo companies to a man complained, asked for fee reductions, and suggested sensible alternatives. The CAA took no notice whatsoever.
As has been said previously, the figures they mention they require to run the scheme are ridiculous (you could run it on a laptop using proprietary software for a fraction of the cost.) I shan’t bother replying to the consultation, but have no choice but complete the registration process.

The idea that BMFA members be exempt from this charge has a petition on change.org.

Anyone in the BMFA or just wants to offer their support the petition is here https://www.change.org/p/caa-bmfa-members-to-be-exempt-from-the-charge-proposal-for-uk-drone-registration-scheme

Thanks
G.

1 Like

One of my Twitter contacts has written this article regarding the proposed registration.

Worth a read in my opinion.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J1VIk8qVWYFTneYAz2dF4idhNBKap6vM/view

Regards
G.

If that was the case I think they would have a sudden influx of new drone-owning members :rofl:

1 Like

Well, that might not be a bad thing. It addresses the insurance issue and if the BMFA register themselves as the operator on behalf of their members, members only need register as pilots. Job done.

1 Like

It’s a fair effort on the BMFA side to push for exemption. I am a BMFA member. But doesn’t that monopolise things in their favour?

Maybe the CAA should give the registration free and put ads on an app (banggood?). Everyone else on the internet does. That’s why the internet is mostly free.

Funny that they mention fishing licences. Those licences go to the upkeep of waterways I believe. Does the airspace we occupy require upkeep? Not really!

1 Like