Understanding Flight Zones in London

@jacksona69 I’ve moved your post over to this existing thread as it seems to be referencing the same geographical area / red zones on the map.

Airspace restrictions will always trump Good 2 Go as it doesn’t know where you intend to fly :blush:

@nathankw has done a lot of bailable research over the last few months, have a scroll up.

1 Like

So as you’d imagine, central London is a confusing mix of different zones.
I’m assuming the place you want to film is the little blue blob?

That’s withing the large zone called the “specified area” or R160 that covers most of Zone 2 London. However we’ve had confirmed that drones CAN fly in the area. The restrictions only apply to manned helicopters.

The CAA have stated “R 160 does not restrict flights carried out with UAS ,however, you must follow the Drone Code.”

I’ve flown within the Specified Area with no problems. You get a warning on the app that it’s a high risk area which you can just confirm.

However there are 3 absolute no fly zones in London. The biggest (confusingly named Hyde Park) covers central London. You can see the edge of that zone running down the west side of Harmsworth Park.
This is a definite No Fly Zone and is likely a geofenced area.

It looks like where you want to fly is just outside it - so in theory you’re OK in terms of that zone. But you’ll doubtless get a serious warning from the app and you need to make very sure you don’t stray into that zone. Keep to the east of the target.

However, all the above covers the airspace restrictions. There are also ground restrictions you need to worry about.

Lambeth sadly seems to have quite a stricy no drone policy - they don’t allow drone flying from any of their parks and open spaces: Drone flying in Lambeth parks | Lambeth Council

If your friend has a front garden you should be OK to fly from there (maybe best to let the neighbours know first and remember to keep line of sight to the drone). If not, you may struggle to find somewhere you can operate from. You could try just flying from the street - do it quickly and a quiet time and you may well get away with it.

And of course all of this applies to the Mini2. Anything larger than 250g can’t fly so close to a built-up area.

Hope that makes sense.

Let us know how you get on.

6 Likes

Thanks @nathankw that’s a really useful steer. Will let you all know how it goes! :+1:

1 Like

Hi

I have a question : assuming that I took the A2 CofC training and my drone is a mavic air 2, what are the chances of me getting an ENFS approved in any of London restricted areas for non-comercial reasons (e.g photography hobby?)

Has any one every tried to request a ENFS in similar situation ?

Thanks

1 Like

No idea as I’ve never tried but would be interested to know how hard it is to get (either for recreational or work).

If you give it a go let us know how you get on.

I’d be interested to know the chances of getting permission for central London locations too. I have clients who have central London projects that they’d potentially like shooting. It would useful to know whether additional qualifications would increase the likelihood of getting approval.

1 Like

So, here’s the update.

Managed to find a lovely day to do the shoot. Was delighted that the Mini 2 did, indeed, agree to take off, with the DJI standard warnings, per @nathankw’s advice. Only flew from the back garden, and only up to about 25m (I was shitting myself, TBH!).

We’re pretty pleased with the final video, as was the Agent, although the Agency he represents insisted on their Branding team fiddling with the Supers. We sent them a version without the music, titles, etc, but they obviously found the 360 pano too difficult to replicate, so pinched the clip from our online version! :joy:

Our version is here:

We’ve stripped out the Agent’s to-camera bits, and added our own logos. Early days for us, but would welcome any constructive criticism. We’re so lucky to have been given the opportunity to shoot our first video in this £2.75m property!

2 Likes

Adam, this thread about flight restriction zones in London might not be the best place to seek feedback for a video :blush:

Just to add to this thread as there are still lots of people understandably confused about the London “Specified Area” - @JeffV8 got an email from the CAA about this area confirming that you can fly drones- though being a congested area only sub-250g unless you have special authorisation.

Maybe Jeff can post the reply here?

Off-topic…

The customer is always right apparently. I did a nice shoot for a village pub to help their re-opening push after lockdown 1. It wasn’t my finest work but it was at least tasteful. When it appeared on their Facebook page they’d done this to it…

I had to explain to everyone I knew that they’d added that crap all over the screen. It is hideous but it’s what they wanted I guess.

2 Likes

Hi all, the response I received from the CAA UAV Enquiries team in relation to my query about the “Specified Area” was as follows:

Thank you for your email.

R 160 does not restrict flights carried out with UAS ,however, you must follow the Drone Code. Please note that R160 is within 150 metres of a congested area and the Drone Code states that flights cannot be carried out within 150 metres of a congested area unless holding an Operational Authorisation issued by the CAA for such operations (unless your drone is less than 250g in flying weight/weight at take-off and you can operate A1 Open sub-category operations).

If you would like to operate in congested areas please contact one of the CAA Recognised RAE (Recognised Assessment entities) in order to book a course for a GVC (General Visual line of sight certificate).Once in possession of the GVC you will be able to submit an application for an Operational Authorisation.

Please refer to CAP722 https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=415 .

6 Likes

Hi all,
I’m new to drone flying but really enjoying it trying to go to different places as much as I can n lockdown permits. I’m going to London on Thursday because my son has an appointment at great Ormond street, as only 1 parent can go in I’ve got a 3/4hour wait. I’m wondering if I went to a nearby park would I be able to fly my drone or is it just not allowed in London? On the drone assist app it just all looks unflyable? Wondering if any Londoners can help me out please!

@dmerrett2007 I have moved your post to an existing thread on this subject.

Take a read, shout if it doesn’t answer your question :+1:t2:

1 Like

As @PingSpike suggested take a read of this thread.

It’s not impossible In central London but can be difficult even for sub 250g drones.

Any of the Royal Parks have bye-laws that state no drone flying. Some of the other parks are ok, but you might struggle unless you go to some of the suburbs away from zone 1.

Ok, thanks for your help, I’ll do my research and see what the parks are near to great Ormond street!
Might be easier to just sit and wait :rofl:

Obviously you should do your own research and not just take the word of me (or anyone random off the internet).

But I can’t see why you couldn’t fly in Russel Square gardens very near GOSH.
It’s not a royal park, it’s camden council - and as far as I know camden has no anti-drone rules.

You’re outside the central london no fly zone.

Unless anyone else can see a reason not to fly there?

Of course - you may attract attention and I’ve no idea how the police might react if they see you.
Fly at your own risk!

1 Like

Sounds like a good shout, central is a ghost town still at the moment, so depending on the hours @dmerrett2007 is planning might be worth a try.

Most in London wouldn’t even batter an eye lid.

I’ve been up Parliament Hill which is a royal park and seen people disobeying the park bye laws and the drone code, flying right over 200 odd people. No one said a thing. Although it only takes one and gives the rest of us a bad name

2 Likes

So having suggested Russel Sq I thought I’d try it out myself. Gorgeous day for it!

When I arrived, there was already someone else flying a drone there - a new Mini 1 owner.

I had a great flight with my Mini 2 - got some lovely shots of the British Museum and the London skyline.
Apart from the other drone owner no one else showed any interest.

There was a summary of the bylaws on a noticeboard. Nothing about drones. There were some rules about no vehicles but they were obviously aimed at stopping people driving their motorbikes across the flowerbeds.

I did get a lot of “radio interference” warnings, even when it wasn’t that far away from me. The video stuttered at that point but I never lost control.

I didn’t see anyone official so can’t say how they would react but I had a pleasant and trouble-free flight.

7 Likes

Love it Nathan, will have to get myself down and try too.

If you upload the video would be great to see.

At least with the mini 2, once it’s up to 70M or so you can’t hear it at all anyway

1 Like

Hi All,

It seems clear that we can’t fly in R157, R158 and R159 without authorization but we can fly according to the drone code in the R160. In the picture attached I draw a green circle can we fly in that area? It seems outside R159 and R160 but still the Isle of Dog. One more thing what about the Heli Path 4, can we fly over the Thames in the R160 zone? I would like to fly there with a Mini 2.]

Thanks to anyone

2 Likes