Understanding Flight Zones in London

I learnt quickly that according to DJI you can fly anywhere.

It’s just not the case. I thoroughly research everywhere. Drone Scene, NATS, then I look for other videos of the area I want to fly, research local bye laws.

I’ve got a mini 2 as well, and it’s not that it’s complicated to fly, just best to take it seriously. Only takes 1 or 2 to ruin it for the rest.

Plenty of amazing places 30 minutes out of London away from the FRZ and congestion, hop on the tube to the end of the line, train or drive, you won’t be disappointed and then you can really enjoy it without worrying about breaking laws.

1 Like

Why does the app allow you to fly in those areas? Makes it seem you have permission to fly.

The DJI software should not be seen as a guide to the law applicable to you - I’m pretty sure it will say that somewhere on the app itself. DJI places certain restrictions on you, but there are others which are not DJI’s responsibility.

See long thread here:

Short version: DJI are a Chinese firm and it’s way too hard for them to keep up with varying regulations in all the countries around the world. So don’t rely on their built-in zones, anywhere.

2 Likes

I think someone might have answered this before, it’s to do with dji products being available across the world laws in every country being different.

You have to just look for whichever is the best in the country you live in, for us Nats and Drone Scene :grin: and google name of place you want to fly and drones to see if any bye laws come up

1 Like

Beat me too it :grinning:

1 Like

Why does a car let you drive at 80mph or the wrong way down a one way street?
Why does a computer let you download illegal copies of software?

Whilst the drones do make some attempt to stop you doing things that are illegal it’s ultimately your responsibility to obey the rules. Though I agree the rules could be made a lot simpler to follow.

6 Likes

This, anyone who as ever driven using a sat nav in the square mile will have experienced “loss” of GPS signal due to the buildings.

2 Likes

You want to try now since our mayor has incorporated so many changes for pedestrian areas, cycle areas, bud lanes or taxi own lanes.

GPS loss is the least of the problems now. Sat Navs can’t keep up with all the changes

1 Like

Haven’t been in a while to be fair. Last time was in a vehicle with blue lights so wasn’t too bad haha.

2 Likes

Because some people legally can. If you’ve got your PfCO/GVC, permission from the CAA etc then it’s fine so DJI have to provide a method of allowing you to fly.

1 Like

This is pretty restrictive then. Rules out so many areas for me. Thats too bad.

Would be very interested to know more about this…

I added the layer by myself using the NATS app and WhatsApp

1 Like

There is some information on this but it is confusing for someone who just bought a drone and has done all of 2 flights with it! I live in the Greater London area and am trying to go out and fly my drone (Mavic Air 2) legally and take some photos - is it possible to get a list of places that allow drone flying in the Greater London areas?

Thanks

Not really just a list of places you can’t.

Best bet is to use https://dronescene.co.uk/ and its Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Good 2 Go - Can I fly my drone here? feature.

As you have an air 2 worth getting fpvuk membership for article 16 authorisation and or A2 CofC which will allow you to fly it more places.

1 Like

Hi Tuffcutter – I got the FPV membership already and thanks for the links

These are fabulous – will post if I can get something decent

Thanks

Samit

1 Like

Hello everyone, where can you fly to London with DJI Mini 2? Does anyone know safe places? Thank you !

Welcome to Grey Arrows!

London is a very large place, you may need to be more specific.

We have moved your post to an existing thread which may help you @Alfa159SW

1 Like

As GADC says the thread above should give you some pointers.

There are small pockets of London where you can fly your mini2 it’s worth having a look at:

There are some places users have put on as well as showing your all the restrictions.

The specified area is for helicopters so isn’t relevant to UAV’s but the restricted zones of Hyde Park, City or London & Isle of Dogs as well as the flight restricted zones or Heathrow, London City, Northolt and Biggin Hill Airports need permission to be able to fly within them.

I personally haven’t flown within the M25 as yet but I with some research and risk assessment I am sure I will when I can find the time to make the trip.