Uninvolved Persons

I guess that would only leave an early Sunday morning before the hordes wake to try to get your shots. Even then, now with the lockdown and restrictions lifted it may still be difficult what with people returning from the night before!

1 Like

What is it, that drives the ever increasing numbers of NIMBYists on planet earth into a red mist every time a UAV flys by? Whatever happened to Live and let Live! These people wonā€™t be satisfied until model flying of any description is totally banned and all drone users has been crucified in public!
When I was a kid just starting out on a lifelong passion for aero modelling. I could never have imagined a time when we would be persecuted for our simple pleasures!

4 Likes

Sadly I thinks its the self entitlement society we live in. Everyone feels entitled to be offended or hurt by something and even more feel that their feelings of being offended or hurt should be listened to and acted upon and Social Media can be blamed for a large part of that.

I have absolutely ZERO tolerance of this snowflake, namby pamby, blame, Iā€™m so hurt culture we live in today and itā€™s brought me into direct conflict with people on a few occasions now but unless weā€™re prepared to stand up for our individual rights and basic common sense they we have no right to complain and bemoan about the state of things.

On Social Media I tend to just scroll by and ignore peoples stupidity, ignorance and self righteousness but if Iā€™m out filming in public or out with the drone flying legally and Iā€™m confronted by some Darren or Karren I will 100% stand my ground, albeit in a calm and professional manner.

Slow day in the world of Health & Safety, can you tell :laughing:

3 Likes

That would come down to case law rather than the legalisation. Easy to try and guess but in reality it might not have the same outcome.

Some of you will know I am clearly a dog-lover, and as anyone thatā€™s watched any of my videos, youā€™ll see that Ted goes nuts each time the drone is powered up.
Iā€™ve done jobs for people taking pictures of their houses and gardens where their dog has not stopped barking and chasing the drone around for the entire flight.
Bottom line is that dogs are very likely to go mad when they see a drone and will usually try and attack it if itā€™s on the ground.
Trouble is, they canā€™t see the spinning props and they can easily cut their snout or worse, their eyes, and could cause real, permanant injury or loss of sight.

If there is any chance dogs could be off lead, then you need to mitgitate that risk, and ask how this would be viewed if things went wrong and an injury occcured resulting in legal action against you by the dog owner if their dog was injured by your drone. Despite some comments here, I do think legal action is actually very likely if a dog is injured by a drone in an area where itā€™s common for dogs to be off lead.

The good thing about most drones is that you can take your hands off the sticks and they will sit in the air whilst you resolve whatever needs to be resolved. Of course the dog owner should have controlled the dog whilst you landed. Equally you, as the pilot, must have a Plan B if this situation arises. You donā€™t own the area and you canā€™t command others to do as you say. But if you cause injury to someone or something legally permitted to be there, it wonā€™t be good.

Hand-catching is a good way to avoid any risk of animal pouncing. That is what I do if there is any chance of any kid or dog running over.
Or if youā€™re in a difficult situation like this, fly the drone a good 200 metres away and landing and shutting it down before the dog gets to it.
Either way, I find itā€™s useful to consider the likely risks and work out what to do before flight. I know that just arguing with someone who is clearly not going to agree with you will not get you anywhere.
Cheers!
Ian

8 Likes

Letā€™s not forget there are laws about dogs

1 Like