Update woes? Mavic pro

It seems every time I’m required to do an update something weird happens. This time the update got stuck on 5 per cent for the whole battery, then the drone shut down. Upon starting up I got an “error 200 failed to take off”. That foxed me so I tried to download assistant 2 to get to the bottom of things. That also failed to recognise the drone when plugged in, but when I rebooted the drone all was fine and well. Relieved but what’s going on? Is it better to leave dji and go for litchi instead?

I have to admit that updates scare the shit out of me, and most people.
I recall doing my Phantom Vision 2 +, and bricking it !.
Like several others i was not going to be beaten !.
Re-Flashed the WiFi Chip on board, with the gizmo circuit board, worked a treat !.
(Good job i have 40 years of Electronic Engineering & Computer Knowledge to fall back on !)
But since then i have updated all my drones with little,or no problems.
Don’t get me wrong i have encountered problems on the odd occasion, but it has always ended up ok !.
Providing you follow the instructions, it should update with no problems.
It always seem to be that the updates always wants to initiate when you are about to fly, in the middle of nowhere, with no phone connection available !.

Well, the first question I guess, is: “Do you need to update?”

My advice would be to find a version (both app and firmware) that works for you and does everything you need, then stick with it. The old “if it ain’t broke” rule plays heavily here :+1:

But back to the original question!

We’ll need some more info mate :slight_smile:

How are you doing these updates Tom?

Through the app I guess? Android or iOS? Do you always start the updates on a 100% battery? (drone and controller?) Is the GO4 app itself fully up to date? (I’d imagine using an older app to install a newer firmware might cause some confusion)

Any pattern to the failures? Did they only start to happen after a certain firmware version?

Strangely enough, I’ve read many a case where people turn off WiFi on their phone/tablet while doing a firmware update and rely purely on the 3G/4G connection. I have no idea how or why that works for them, but I’ve read many a case of people doing this with great success (where they always fail on WiFi)

Well I’m using an Android phone and updating over 3g. I did notice that you can update using dji assistant, but then I couldn’t get dji assistant to recognise the mavic!! Argh! I don’t want to update, but I constantly get “firmware update required” which is just annoying. What’s litchi like? That better? I’ll try with everything at 100 per cent

Are you sure you are using the very latest version of the Assistant (1.2.4)?
I thought they had resolved the issue of not recognising the drone.
I know mine would not recognise it earlier, but downloaded the latest version and now fine !.

I didn’t find the download site on the dji site very user friendly, but there only seemed to be one option for downloading a Windows exe and one for Apple. (I’m windows, me). All seems kinda shonky really…I’ll check the version number

I had problems with downloading it using IE , but ,switched to Chrome and it downloaded fine.

Well there seems to be limitless opportunities to tinker which in itself is a weird combination of frustration and satisfaction…I’ll keep on!