Upload Limitation Web Space in General

I am very aware that I am brand new on this forum (or any kind of forum for that matter) Never done Facebook or any of the other similar wastes of time, It may sound presumptuous of me therefore to raise the matter I am raising, but I am intrigued as to what the response / answers might be. I re-iterate for clarity that this is not a complaining post, it’s not a post about 'I think you should do things differently and I’m certainly not telling the administrators or senior members that things should be differently.

I’ve spent many hours reading on here in an attempt to learn about my new drone flying hobby and already met a couple of members face to face. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about the whole experience. I’ve been flying twice with one member and bought my first drone through another, but what has come to intrigue me today, having read variously of the limited upload allowance for members on this forum, is just how much space is taken up with ‘Non Drone’ talk. Just one example, is the post headed - MOTO GP 2018 onwards.

I appreciate that we all have other interests outside ‘droning’, but to me as a complete outsider to this hobby as yet and especially to the administration of the website, it seems a shame that actual drone articles, pictures and films about drones and droning are limited at the same time as articles of ‘non drone interest’ are allowed to take up such vast quantities of a limited resource. The article mentioned above for instance, has currently 827 entries taking up scores and scores of pages with both narrative and imagery.

Please don’t misunderstand me, this is not a downer on MOTO GP, or even non drone topics. It’s a genuine question about best use of limited resources, if indeed they are still limited as other posts read today have seemed to suggest.

Thanks for your time if you’ve managed to be bothered to read to the end. I am frequently criticised for being too wordy. I know I am, it is true, but there seems very little I can do about it. I’m perhaps overly concerned that I’m not misunderstood. So I submit my enquiry to the membership and thank any in advance for constructive responses.

I’m not sure as to which limitations you refer, or where you have read this.

The only limit is the size of an individual image/video (or other document) that is set at 50MB … but no limit on how many you can upload at this size.

This was set large enough to enable the upload of full resolution images from our drones, and also short videos.

Obviously, in today’s hi-res world, video quickly reaches far larger sizes than 50MB … 2GB of 4k video is only about 25secs … and these are far better uploaded to YouTube / Vimeo in any case, for the benefits of sharing beyond GADC.

So, in practical terms, there is no limit.

Thanks for the clarification Dave. You see, I told you I wasn’t in possession of all the facts. Now I have a few more and feel better for it . Thanks again.

2 Likes

Michael, I/we have not had a problem with uploads only when people try to upload big files direct to the GADC Site, and believe me they try !.
As Dave has said the top limit is is 50 Mb, which is a fair sized file (Most of the Drones at top resolution are normally under that size for a High Res RAW Photo)
We always upload Big Video files to Youtube, then add the link here.
So realistically you can add as many files under 50 mbs as you like.

Its good to have off topic stuff in my opinion too. It’s nice to get things off your chest once in a while.

2 Likes

Could not agree more with you Karl !.