USB stopped working after soldering

Which chip?

Well the offer is there if you change your mind :+1:t2:

The big one

Iā€™m going to have a guess that because the VTX was powered from the same pad (via the plug) that you tried to power the RX from, that itā€™s tried to draw to much current and fried something.

But Iā€™m no expert, thatā€™s @notveryprettyboy s job title :rofl: he has the degree in electronics not me :rofl:

Thanks mate, genuinely appreciated.

1 Like

That is also my theory. I know my soldering is fineā€¦i spent 5 years doing surface mount after all

Curiousā€¦ why do you need to connect to bf if youā€™re getting video and the receiver is bound? Is it a new receiver that needs setting up?

1 Like

@Steviegeek is the expert. I assume the 5v comes from the usb direct. The slow led light up is puzzling

Yeah need to get it all set upā€¦all of this because i wanted to neaten it up

I assumed that was just it filling up a capacitor initially but it used to come on instantly and a lot brighter beforeā€¦also no blue flashing data led now

Something is taking a lot of current from the usb 5v supply. And it sounds like your main processor. They run off 3.3v I think. It will be a small chip with 5 legs that supplies it. If its one of them, its repairable.
If its the main chip, its still repairable (I think I have an f7 from @Steviegeek). Not guaranteed though as its fiddly soldering one of them mothers up

Dont you just hold the soldering iron on the chip to do that?

I cant see a 5 legged chip but then my eyesight isnt that good anymore.

unless its the one directly between the MPU chip and the usb port (which has 6 legs) I dont see anything else it could beā€¦ill just have to buy a new FC when i get my tax return in I guess and hope i dont magically break that one

1 Like

Looking at this I donā€™t think you connected the receiver to the vtx. The vtx is supplied bat voltage and the receiver pad you used is definitely 5v but the TX and RX used were the same by the looks of it

Which plug is your vtx plugged into?

the top right one on that pic, everything else still powers up fine.

Just to catch up, didnā€™t it all work except the USB

if that is still the case then the STM32 main processor is fine

The STM32 is 5V tolerant

as far as i am aware everything still works fine apart from the USB I cant test everything due to needing the USB to work to configure it. The VTX still powers up and transmits video though so the camera is fine as well.

Are you 100% sure the USB cable is a data cable? And also not damaged? It just seems really random that the USB stops working :thinking:

Deffo check the USB cable and drivers again