UTM Connectivity

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or I am doing something wrong?

When you highlight an FRZ, the information box contains some information (Summary, Altitude and FRZ) but seems to be missing the contact information that is available on altitude angel

1 Like

Mentioned a little while ago

I’m not aware of any airports in the UK that are accepting requests to fly in their FRZ via Altitude Angel, but granted, I’ve not checked them all :blush:

The ATC contact information would be useful to bring in to Drone Scene though, for sure. I’ll see if I code it in to November’s update.

3 Likes

Yeah, Rich, I was more pointing to the ATC info :+1:

Did find this in my research, but not fully read it yet :wink:

Spoke to Altitude Angel about this.

Dublin Airport is due to go live in Q1 of 2022 and they’re currently speaking to other airports at the moment, so the ability to be able to request permission to fly in a FRZ via an online platform is still quite some time away yet. I would guess at a year? :thinking:

Anyway, I’ll crack on with the ATC information as that’ll be a handy stop gap.

4 Likes

The flying club I’m a member of is not strictly in a Flight Restricted Zone (Class D Airspace), but we have been granted permission to fly above the 400ft ceiling if we notify LBA ATC of our intention to do so.

We originally had carte blanch permission to do so from the CAA, but it appears the person(s) responsible for granting this original permission were not aware of Leeds And Bradford Airport :hushed:

I see that https://atcadvisor.com/ gets their contact information from the NATS eAIP; note also their “review an ATC” feature. Just in case you think of anything you can either nick or do better :grinning:

1 Like

Coming to a Drone Scene near you soon, contact details for FRZs:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Excellent Rich Thanks :+1:

Altitude angel now includes digital flight request for airport FRZs.

Sorry if this has already been talked about I know it was discussed in a dronescene mega thread that has since been locked so started new thread

Or lists contact info directly if not part of UTM yet.

The contact details are already included in drone scene :+1:t2: I wonder if @PingSpike can incorporate the digital request as well :thinking:

Yeah seems like the digital requests are now live as well :ok_hand:t2:

Happy for this to be merged into the existing UTM thread. Apologies.

1 Like

I can’t find one Uk airport that has gone live, anyone know of any?

1 Like

Screen shot above says Crawley?

Yes Gatwick says it is live

1 Like

Gatwick. Supposedly.

But. Ermmmmm

I’m not sure what the uptake of this will be. I can imagine significant changes would be required at each airport to support it :thinking:

We ran a few tests with AA back in October and the process of requesting permission was, ummm… “in-depth”.

Given the amount of other features we want to build in to Drone Scene, I’d rather not spend several weeks coding a new feature that only works in Dublin and a couple of random strips of grass / airfields in England that nobody has ever heard of, for something that less than 1% of our members would ever need to use :confused:

Plus, most people here fly DJI and there’s still their NFZ unlocking process to get through manually, even after a successfully automated FRZ request with an airport.

That all probably sounds quite negative which wasn’t my intention, I just don’t think the workflow is ready for main stream hobbyist use yet.

As ever, you can trust us to continually monitor the situation closely and if things change you know that we’ll jump on it right away :slight_smile:

5 Likes