Video Frame Rates, Encapsulation, Davinvi Resolve

@OzoneVibe
Thanks for that, I’ll change it later.

1 Like

I’m just checking this now, in the 4k 4096x2160 there is only the option for 24fps, in the 4k 3840x2160 there is option for 24fps or 30fps, is this the video size you use. it was on the 4096x2160 option.

I only use > 1080 so that I can crop, if needed, without loss of resolution. So I tend to use 2720x1536 @ 30fps.

Full 4k would be useful for someone wanting to upload 4k to YT/Vimeo … but I’m never interested in doing that.

Also - if you are using DaVinci for full 4k … that would explain the slow processing. 2720 would improve it, and ask yourself if you need to record in anything more than 1080 … and your computer would probably be quite happy.

1 Like

If you want 30 FPS , you need to select NTSC instead of Pal.
Using NTSC if fine .

I hate those outmoded terms!

NTSC/PAL only have any relevance to analogue TV and interlaced video … there is no difference in digital p video. I do wish they’d remove this misleading stuff from devices. (Although there will be places in the world that still use, obviously)

A frame rate in digital p video is just that … nothing to do with encoding.

(Edit: That was a rant at tech … not you. :wink: )

1 Like

I know . The two are only different encapsulations . A pain in the arse to have to chose NTSC for 30 fps

1 Like

Hmm, so I guess you read my computer issues post, I do upload things to YT, but really only so I put that link on here for bits I have done, I’m certainly not starting a vlog on YT.

Looking through the other settings do you use MOV or MP4? NTSC or PAL?

OK so I will try it on 2720 and see how the computer copes with that and then 1080 if it still struggles.

Otherwise I am quite happy with the computer I have, its a lot of work and expence setting up a new PC if I don’t really need to. My data is all up in the clowd, but installing everything again is a pain.

Interlaced versus progressive is just different.
All p is identical and international - and the encapsulation only varies by codec - yet another proliferated maze of stupidity that should have been rationalised a long time ago down to the best that are really relevant. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Personally MP4 … but MOV makes little difference.

See above re NTSC/PAL … the only relevance (?) these days is that to have access to 25/50 fps you need to be on PAL, for access to 30/60fps you need to be on NTSC ….

At what resolution? Full 4k?
For most things - here, social media, etc, 1080 is adequate … and saves ages of upload time!
When all your skills make considering a movie masterpiece a project, then worry about anything above 2270.

Consider this ….

If you did everything (recording/editing/uploading) in 1080, you’d probably find things would become quick enough with your current computer to defer that cost, and you’d probably enjoy the process more because it’s faster, and hence you’d get to learn more.

If you have one massive 4k screen at home and really want to see the all the glorious detail … then you would see the improvement of using 4k. But to enjoy drone flying, recording, editing, sharing … I’d play with 1080 until you find that you need that extra.

2 Likes

Thanks. As always your experience and knowledge answers my issues.

Yes I have been quite frustrated for about the last week messing about with drivers and so on, thinking I need a new computer and the hassle involved in all that.

So I am going to follow your advice, as I think I have done with everything, and stick to 1080 at 30fps and see how that goes. I guess its like using an 8MB jpg file for putting on here when all you need is about 100kb.

I have been recording in MOV and rendering to MP4 in DR which I guess takes a bit more work than recording in MP4 in the first place.

Thanks again Dave, as I said before you are my mentor, and I really appreciate all your help.

1 Like

I just uploaded the video over Christchurch Priory but I had a few issues getting it there. Since the last video I put together I got a new computer that is more upto date, a bit better than Dave’s laptop (that’s a pretty high spec laptop, even by today’s standards).

Any way took the clips off the SD card from the MP and started to edit and got to a point where I wanted to render and see what it looked like, I’m using Resolve by the way, clicked start render and it failed and Resolve froze, shut it down and tried to restart it and nothing, Resolve wouldn’t run.

Restarted the computer and tried again. Checked the frame rates of the clips against what I had set the render to and all was the same, tried again and the same result. Restarted the computer and checked all again, failed again but this time got an error message Failed to encode video frame, so looked it up on YouTube and found the issue.

The default Project Settings had a 24fps rate and my clips were all 29.97fps, hence the problem. So to render the video I had to set all the frame rates for rendering down to 24fps, then it rendered fine.

On my MP I have the video size set to 1080p at 30fps but when I look at the properties of the mp4 files the frame rate is 29.97fps, can anyone explain why?

In the mean time I have set the default frame rate to 29.97fps thanks to another YouTube video that showed me how. So future editing jobs shouldn’t have the same problems.

When you drag a clip into Resolve it gives you the option to change the project setting to the that of the clip you are dragging in. That’s the best way to ensure frame rates are the same as the source.

This is very important to ensure you don’t have missing frames.

So - 30fps video on the MP - 30fps in the project settings.
You can also set this manually before adding clips … but I always use the prompt, above, to save forgetting.

You can change the project resolution setting after adding clips (as I recall).

29.7fps v 30fps - if you really want to know - you can try and understand this : What is the difference between 29.97FPS and 30FPS?.
In short, 29.97 is an old NTSC analogue colour system frame rate with an odd way of making it B&W backward compatible.

But, basically, it’s something that can be ignored and Resolve will do the correct thing.

1 Like

(I moved this lot from the original thread … since it’s rather deviated from that topic.)

@OzoneVibe
Hi Dave, I have seen this frame rate change pop up before, but I didn’t see it in this case which is why the problem occurred.

I can obviously see there is only 0.03fps difference (a midges dick) between the two frame rates, but didn’t know about the backward compatibility. So in this day and age why are DJI recording at 29.97fps, that seems a bit out of date as the rest of their stuff is pretty much cutting edge.

@OzoneVibe
Hi Dave, I have seen this frame rate change pop up before, but I didn’t see it in this case which is why the problem occurred.

I can obviously see there is only 0.03fps difference (a midges dick) between the two frame rates, but didn’t know about the backward compatibility. So in this day and age why are DJI recording at 29.97fps, that seems a bit out of date as the rest of their stuff is pretty much cutting edge.

If you drag two clips at the same time and they are not identical, this pop-up doesn’t appear … since it wouldn’t know which you wanted to use.

It’s amazing how much analogue is still used in the US.

I don’t remember if I dragged them in one at a time or all together, but they were certainly all the same as they were just copied onto the hard disk and then in to Resolve.

I guess the US market is bigger than Europe, but Trump’s trade war might change that.

I seem to recall in Resolve 15 that two identical ones wouldn’t trigger the prompt - but since I installed 16 it seems to think logically.
I still tend to drag just one in by itself, initially - that never fails to prompt (since DR defaults to 24 - it always needs changing). Old habits, etc.

I also sometimes mix DSLR video with Mavic video … and whilst both are set to 30fps, I always drag an initial clip from whichever source will make up the majority of the edit.

@OzoneVibe
You can change the default fps to what you want.

This is the video that showed me how to change the fps, the first two minutes deal with changing for a project, from about two minutes onwards it shows you how to set the default fps.

I didn’t say you couldn’t change the base default fps - but can you guarantee that you’ll never need to use another frame rate?

If, for some reason, you want to shoot in 4k on the MP, you only have 24fps (23.98 :man_shrugging:) available, if you use another camera or phone, it may be set to something different, etc.

At least by the method I use “always drag in a clip from the main source first” you know the project will be set to the correct fps … even if it’s not always the same.
Horses for courses … I like a “works correctly every time” work flow.

2 Likes