VLOS a perspective

This is for countries that don’t have VLOS laws.

That’s what happens when you fly a six inch wide grey drone against an often grey UK sky.

But you did the right thing, good man :slight_smile:

If you want more VLOS range you could buy a bigger drone (not the most common solution) or attach a strobe (by far the most common solution).

Or, as I suspect, they just don’t give a shit about the rules (if they are even aware any rules exist).

1 Like

Your video isn’t corrupt, the camera just hasn’t been able to finalise the file as you turned off the drone. Switch on the drone then start recording again, the camera will finalise the old file before it starts the new recording.

4 Likes

Whilst the rules seem to be in flux right now, pretty sure bigger drone will mean not being able to fly in town but thank you very much for the “attach a strobe” link and other advise! :slight_smile:

Genius, thank you, sir! Drone footage recovered!

3 Likes

Next time you do it, no need to start recording. The startup process of the Mini 2 closes the latest video if it was left open. Only works if you’ve not messed with the card between turning off and turning on to close the video. E.g. renaming the file will stop the easy fix working.
Turn on with card inserted, wait for the usual green light to confirm its OK, turn off.

2 Likes

My take is here you’re operating an aircraft under a modified form of VFR.

So the intent of being able to see is having full spacial awareness in 360 degrees around the drone to clearly identify and react to any potential hazards or conflicts.

So my view of that is simply being able to make out a tiny black dot in the distance with no depth perception at all wouldn’t meet the requirements.

Also the camera view gives you essentially no spacial awareness or peripheral vision. Any high speed or small hazards wouldn’t be seen on a tiny screen until too late to react and in addition you only have a narrow view directly in front.
In a real aircraft under VFR your head is on a pivot paying as much attention to whats off to the sides as you are to whats in front. The looking never stops.

I seriously doubt anyones ability to accurately and rapidly identify hazards based on a drone camera view on a small screen and also doubt a dot at 600m away is operated in a way they could see and react to anything if required in 3 dimensions.
This is why goggles arent legal without a spotter - you have narrow tunnel vision of whats in front and no awareness at all of anything outside that narrow cone.

Drone tech needs to catch it - they need automated detect and avoid. Manned aircraft also need to catch up with more of them using ADSB-Out and so on as well.

A post was merged into an existing topic: VLOS the new regulations… No more 500m

Why do CAA regulations require that a drone remains in VLOS? It seems to me to be a flawed regulation.
The drone is recording everything surrounding its flight and relaying this back to a tablet/phone. Viewing and avoiding any obstacles is easy and can be monitored from the recording. Although I can keep my drone in VLOS to around the limit, I can’t see the high level power cables strung from pole to pole at that distance, or any other aerial obstruction of similar size.

For what reasons do you think VLOS might be required by CAA, @wugzie ?

Things like video links don’t always work! :wink:

At the very basic end of the reg, it’s common sense. You should have a rough idea of your flight path and it isn’t too hard to work out where cables “might” be, following poles/pylons etc with your eye and just staying clear.

That’s exactly why it’s not flawed

2 Likes

Providing those obstacles are within the drone cameras very narrow field of view.

Your drone doesn’t have wing mirrors, it can’t see that low flying air ambulance approaching from behind, or the police helicopter approaching from 90 degrees to the left.

Your drone can’t see (or hear) the glider pilot losing altitude and it can’t see the guy flying his microlight coming in at 103 degrees to the west.

It also can’t see that other hobbyist drone that’s just taken off from directly underneath your drone, nor can it see the bird of prey hovering directly above it.

The list goes on.

VLOS is about your eyes monitoring the area of sky all around your drone for hazards that can appear out of nowhere; not just what is directly in front of your camera.

7 Likes

That just about sums up VLOS :+1: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

VLOS monitor view and commonsense. :+1:

1 Like

There’s a lot of emphasis on maintaining VLOS at all costs, but there’s no evidence to support such a need. BVLOS does not necessarily mean flying great distances from the takeoff point. But technically if I fly my little FPV twig around my garden, without a spotter, I’m flying BVLOS and breaking the law.

It’s a bloody big sky out there. I’m fairly close to LBA, I can watch the arrivals and departures, but I’m outside of their FRZ in Class D airspace. But if I was on a collision course with an aircraft I’d be the least of its problems because it would already be fated to crash, with or without my presence.

We regularly have the air ambulance flying in this area as we get a lot of born again bikers colliding with various immovable objects. We even had it land at the local school once, but it was audible long before it was visible. The same goes for XY99, the police helicopter. It’s a noisy machine and I’ve yet to see it come below 1,000feet, even when in pursuit or when searching the river for a lost person in the middle of the night.

Yes we should be responsible, but at the same time we should be realistic. To date there has not been one confirmed accident between a BVLOS model and general aviation. Some may say it’s just a matter of time, but how much time is needed as BVLOS has been a thing for 20yrs or more. General aviation is more than capable of running up a tally of fatalities between themselves without any assistance from the hobby community.

In general, other than being restricted from flying in FRZ’s, the rules which have been enforced upon us have been done so without any credible evidence or documented risk assessment. I read the latest edition of CHIRP and the incidents that were reported were not a result of BVLOS. Of the four reports that had been submitted one was due to complete stupidity by the pilot resulting in a child being harmed. Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid so the saying goes. Another was due to a maiden of a model jet and failure of the installed RC gear. And another was a retelling of how the pilot of a model plane flicked the wrong switch on his controller.

I’m not trying to be the rebel without a cause here. I’m just trying to be realistic.

7 Likes

Every year a helicopter flies Father Christmas around the south west.

Last year I had only just landed and he appeared - no NOTAM warning was in place and he was flying well below 400 feet. He has to as he waves to school children.

I do wonder as to who would get the blame if I collided.

I would have been in VLOS as well.

Others need to operate sensibly as well.

3 Likes

Just remember Santa sleigh will be flying and landing on all the roofs.

Don’t see any info on the National Flight Planning Map for Santa’s up and coming flight :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

Except sound, and what’s behind the camera.
Edit: already said much better by @PingSpike

Some do :wink:

I’ll look out for one that does to help with my V LOS :wink: :grin: