VLOS the new regulations... No more 500m

They’re not going to change the rules, VLOS is an adequate rule which makes it flexible for the size of the drone, it’s visibility, etc. Down to individuals to ensure they’re flying to the rules.

I can see my mini 2 and its orientation at 50m+ in any direction. I guess its down to individuals eyesight. My golfing buddies think its great cus I can tell them where thier balls have gone! :hugs:

Bet you can’t when its behind you ;o)

:clap::+1::rofl::rofl: smarty pants! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My wife can, she has eyes in the back of her head :rofl:

1 Like

FPV spotter then😂

……. Thermal drone then :thinking::roll_eyes::joy:

If you can’t see it you’re not in visual line of sight. Rules are quite clear on that.

:innocent::innocent::+1:

Has anyone used reflective vinyl or similar to improve visibility / determining orientation.

Or are lights better for that purpose?

I tried silver reflective tape. In the right conditions, bright sunshine, they worked OK if the drone was as the right angle. Soon peeled them off and carried on using cree strobes.

Please see this thread: Have you wrapped your bird?

1 Like

Thought this maybe a little interest for some or maybe none …

You’re correct, I have very little interest in his video.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ditto :smiley:

Edit : I just thought for those who are trying to squeeze every last inch out of VLOS, or for those who will carry on like frank Sinatra , ( my way, or fly me too the moon ) :joy:

1 Like

He does make sense occasionally… but he does go on a bit sometimes, just to say the obvious somtimes. :rofl:

1 Like

I thought his expose on the Microdrone-4.0, and the work he did in trying to get refunds for the backers, was highly commendable. But I lost faith in him after one of his livestreams, for reasons I should probably keep to myself.

2 Likes

I still maintain that if the CAA rules and regs were even tenuously linked to safety and based on evidence there wouldn’t be so many of them.

Their recent publication on Scalable Beyond Visual Line Of Sight Operations and SORA (Specific Operations Risk Assessment) is so behind the times, they make reference to equipment initiated flyaways that stopped being a thing over ten years ago. Their recommendations with regard to backup systems and redundancy are not mirrored in their recommendations for manned, sorry that showed be crewed, aviation.

Sorry, I’m getting ranty again, I haven’t had my Snickers yet.

3 Likes

It’s fine, sorry if it’s made you rant, I was literally just posting the above for if or whoever wants too see it.
I don’t watch his stuff, I just stumbled across it so thought it might be of use too some or none, I certainly have no interest in it .
I’ll make my own judgement for my self even if I do get it wrong, if so then it’s down to me .

2 Likes

Yes - by the rules applied to drones, few if any aircraft should be flying at night or in bad weather, or above the clouds where they lose sight of the ground - after all, their instruments could fail !