Wanstead flats London E7

Hi am planning to buy thr M2 mini, but want to use it at Wanstead flats etc: anyone know can we use drones at the park.

What exactly are you trying to catch people doing?

2 Likes

No drones allowed on Wanstead Flats. They have a ranger who comes around if you’re unlucky to tell you this. Not sure what the deal is when it comes to flying drones under 250g. Most likely still not allowed.

They have a flying field but is only for RC planes/Model Aircraft

https://wanstead.bmfa.uk/

Looking at it on maps there seems to be a lot of places to take off and land that’s not on their bit ;o)

1 Like

that’s strange planes are much faster then a drone- so why not allow drones

Something to do with the automated features on the drone, like Return To Home where you’re not in control. That was the reason why you’re not allowed to fly alongside the planes. Don’t know why drones aren’t allowed on the rest of the field.

I suspect it is a lot to do with the RC flying club not wanting drones in their space. It has been there many years ( I was a member in the late 70’s) and their influence will carry weight. I must say, if I flew RC aircraft I wouldn’t want drones anywhere near.

Model plane clubs can be prejudiced wrt drones I’m afraid

1 Like

Similar to Tassywass, I was warned by a ranger when flying my Phantom Profession and Mavic Mini a month or so ago. He was friendly enough but it was slightly embarrassing when his car came flying across the field to me in front of onlookers!
Without knowing the restrictions at the time I’d flown in the flying field there for a few days previously so did get some footage
I did see some guys flying their model aircraft there around the same time so assumed all was good. The area is about 25 minutes from me so its very disappointing. Maybe the ‘new rules’ for drones will shake things up for the better?