What are .SRT files?

Those options are definitely possible in DR … so probably FCP, too.

I’ve noticed that there is a .SRT file with every MP4 file on the memory card. What are they and do I need to keep them for any reason?

Moved your post to your previous thread with the same question. :wink:

They were traditionally used to keep optional subtitles for films, and now DJI use them to store some additional information on your flight. On my Mac I can read these files when:

• the film and the .SRT have the same name AND
  • I use VLC (not Quicktime Player) to play the movie file AND
  • I set the subtitles to be on in VLC

Result:

remains on screen, updating, all the time.

[Drafted this reply whilst your second enquiry was still running!]

@ash2020 you have an incredible knack of asking the exact same questions this year that you asked last year :rofl:

1 Like

OMG Dave, it was the same question, asked by the same person - me! Now I’m seriously worried!

1 Like

I know Rich, and I’ll prolly keep on asking it every year, until they take me away. I really am very worried now. :flushed:

1 Like

I’ll try and ask a different question next time, just to make it more interesting!

Here’s an example line from the SRT (Captions) file generated by my M2P with the latest firmware.
00:00:00,000 → 00:00:00,041
FrameCnt : 1, DiffTime : 41ms
2020-12-31 11:24:56,118,546
[iso : 100] [shutter : 1/2500.0] [fnum : 280] [ev : 0] [ct : 5513] [color_md : d_log] [latitude : 51.691026] [longtitude : -1.688271] [altitude: 111.733002]

Is there any way to change the format of this, or what data items are included (other than post-processing it)? On a secondary point, I have the M2P/DJI Go 4 App set up to display distances in metres, yet the altitude seems to be in feet. Is there a way of configuring this to be metres?

I would have thought just delete the bits you don’t want and resave the file in a txt editor.

Its a long time since I played about with .srt files, especailly given the great job YT does with captions now with no input

They are standard Subtitle files.

Some video editors enable them to be overlaid automatically.

Also moved your post to this pre-existing thread on SRT files to keep everything together. There’s not a lot about them on GADC (this is it).

If you’re handy with Python…? :+1:t2:

I like this, but not $99 like ;o( @PingSpike anything you can make?

:running_man:

There is Dashware?

Not looked at it in years.

OK, I was hoping that there was some way to configure the format produced. I also have a Mavic Mini and the (embedded) subtitles it produces additionally include distance (from home) and horizontal and vertical velocity (in meters!), I’d like to add those to the SRT produced on the M2P. I can post-process it to remove stuff like the HTML font markup (why is that in there?) and, if there’s no way to configure it, convert the altitude into metres, but it would be neat if it was configurable (by enabling/disabling certain data items) in the drone.

One more question - the SRT files on the Mini SE, can they be disabled in his drones menu (as opposed to having to delete them on the computer folder where the mp3 files are copied to)?

Paul.

Hi Paul, moved your post here with some other SRT questions

As to yours, yes you can turn them off by disabling video subtitles

Ah, super stuff, thanks @Sparkyws I will pass that on to Graham.

Paul.

1 Like

Why not ask Graham to join GADC :wink: