When will class-marked drones be available to buy?

Yep and it works I have had a few “warnings”

Do agree though. They should have put it in all the MA2’s not just NA

3 Likes

I thought they claimed that they were going to fit them to all drones over 250g from Jan 2020 onwards. I assumed that they were fitted but just inactive in the software?
I’ve not investigated this though, maybe that was just for US ones?

The hardware is physically missing in all EU-spec Mavic Air 2 models :confused:

More info here: So, DJI, what's this? The Mavic Air 2 mega thread - #48

2 Likes

damn, I didn’t realise that. Was it just the MA2’s or the pro and zooms as well?

I don’t think it ever made it to the “old” Mavic 2 range either. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that one.

Might be in the new Enterprise Advanced model :thinking:

2 Likes

Only the enterprise, FPV and NA MA2

2 Likes

I believe you are correct when you say “I thought they (DJi) claimed that they were going to fit them (DJi Airsense) to all drones over 250g from Jan 2020 onwards”.

There is this quote from Heliguy (DJi approved retailer) when I posed a question re: ADS-B
“So, here’s the thing. The disappointment that non-US Mavic Air 2s are not fitted with AirSense is understandable.
And, currently, there is no information about when future batches of this aircraft will be equipped with this technology.
However, if you are a drone operator in the UK, this doesn’t have to deter you from purchasing a Mavic Air 2, especially as all models are the same, barring the AirSense omission

2 Likes

Didn’t they blame chip shortages at the time.

As @speatuk I too have had several warnings on the FPV.

I wouldn’t be a fan of it transmitting though

2 Likes

Thumbs up :+1: from me. I’ve let my defences drop and bought another drone I don’t need today.

3 Likes

You are totally correct @PingSpike and If I may can I repeat @ianinlondon “common sense approach”:

"AirSense (ADS-B hardware) was promised on all >250gm drones for 2020 yet DJI’s latest drone is only offering this in the USA initially on the Air 2, meaning early buyers in Europe will miss out on this hardware ( and therefore not ever get it via a firmware update).

Even more annoyingly is the lack of CE certification for the new Air 2. This is required for all European countries including the UK from later this year and after a 2 year transition period, all old unclassified drones will remain ‘unclassified’ and only be able to be flown in A3 category areas (ie 150 metres from any built-up areas). The CAA are very clear that existing unclassified models CANNOT be retrospectively classified, so there is no scope for ‘getting the right sticker issued later’.

So whilst I still think the new Air 2 will be an incredible bit of kit, I think early European buyers need to be aware of these issues. For some, it may be a deal-breaker…"

After the end of next year. And it’s only required if you want to fly under those categories

1 Like

Retrofitting will never happen. Why should DJI bother when they can sell you a new one? They’ll actively welcome the introduction of classification for that very reason

2 Likes

Without a doubt.

:tada: Here, look at our shiny new lineup :tada:

1 Like

I will stick with the mini 2. Till they get sorted then may buy an air 10. Or mav pro 12 when its sorted

3 Likes

So it seems to me if your drone has not got a CE mark on it you won’t be able to fly it in more built up areas Even if you have got your COf C licence anyway, but I personally never get bothered & make sure I don’t fly neer anybody, but that’s only because I have just started, it would be nice to think if I’m taking the trouble to get a licence so to speak I have got a choice and framed responsible enough to fly a bigger drone than a mini 2

Just thought i would add, it seems nobody has any idea what’s going to happen, or that’s how it seems, so the drone companies expect people to spend hard earned money on drones that are not legel in this country because they have no CE mark & the new DJI drone won’t have a CE mark, it’s like any hobby we get there is always some load of nonsense trying to stop people enjoying themselves, but now we are seeing them Electric scooters they have got to be the most dangerous things I have seen and to top that complete useless idiots in charge of them

1 Like

I think you are confusing CE marking and the incoming Class markings - they are totally different things

2 Likes

All DJI drones and most of the others are CE marked already, to comply with European safety standards

My drone is CE marked:

As above, looks like you’re confusing your markings @Clockmaker :+1:t2:

I see, I must be, it all seems a bit confusing but on thinking about it not much is going to change from the way people fly drones now