Where i can fly my drone in Tooting, London?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought the Dji Mini 2, and I want to fly my drone, but I cannot find any legal place to fly? I am using DJI Fly Safe and Drone Assist App to see where I can fly, but it’s all red or yellow zone near me.

I already have my fly ID and operator ID.

Thanks.

2 Likes

You should be fine.

This thread is a good place to start:

Next step is to bin your Drone Assist app and use Drone Scene instead:

Why? It will let you switch off Class D Airspace, which covers much of London including most of Tooting, but is not a restriction on drone flights.

Then you’ll be left with something like this:

The big red circle is the London heliport Flight Restriction Zone. You can’t fly there without the heliport’s permission.

The red blob just at the top of the image at Nine Elms is the edge of the Hyde Park Restricted Area. You can’t fly there without CAA permission.

The remaining red area with angular edges is a restriction on helicopters - it does not affect you and you can fly in this area so long as you follow the normal drone regulations.

From Drone Scene, you can use the tools to deduce that you are probably within the boundary of Wandsworth Council, and click on a link that will show if the famous Simon Hawkins has discovered any drone restrictions that Wandsworth may impose (it shows he has not asked them yet).

Wandsworth’s website will tell you they don’t allow drones in their parks or streets, but their byelaws don’t seem to prevent it.

4 Likes

Did anyone find a safe place to Fly in London ? I know you can fly drone in Flying Field in Richmond Park but any other places ? near SW17 area?

London is a minefield due to local Borough/Council byelaws. I live in Lambeth who have a blanket ban on take off/landing from all their public space.

A good spot near you I found is Merton - the council have designated a few places you can fly. See this thread for more info:

The best of the Merton locations in my experience is Cannon Hill Common - lovely spot to fly.

Good luck!

2 Likes