Where to fly in Northumberland?

It depends on the beach. Common opinion is that all beaches between mean high water and mean low water (the foreshore) belong to the Crown but that isn’t the case. Some beaches are privately owned so the owner’s rules may apply. I fly on a beach that is owned by the local sailing club but I yet have to be approached by a red-faced and angry committee member. I get a lot of interested passers-by wanting to know about the aircraft though.

The Crown is fairly sensible when it comes to flying :

"Drone flying / Unmanned Aerial Devices (UAD)

We grant permission for UAD flights over Crown Estate foreshore (defined as the land between mean high water and mean low water).

This permission is subject to all operators complying with the applicable laws, statutes, regulations and codes, as well as the requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority, and obtaining any other necessary consents for the operation of UADs.

On occasions, third parties such as Government agencies or local authorities may restrict the flying of UAD’s on Crown Estate land. We therefore recommend checking with the appropriate authority to ensure that no such restrictions are in place."

To find out which areas of foreshore we own, please use our Foreshore and Estuary Ownership Map

Once you have taken off from a beach you aren’t confined to staying within the limits of the foreshore.
My understanding - I am NOT a lawyer - is that airspace above a property is administered by the CAA and, as long as you are following the Drone Code and not invading anyone’s privacy you are flying legally.

4 Likes

I’d be very nervous of sand getting inside the drone, even when flying from a promenade or nearby patch of grass.

My MP ended up in the sand when trying to land it in a boat on the beach in Goa, the boat was at the top of the beach. Anyway it hit the front pole of the boat and ended up in the sand. It broke a couple of props which was the only visible damage. I took it back to the place I was staying at and gave it a good shake down, blew out the motors and brushed of the rest of the sand, put a new set of props on and tested, it was fine and has been ever since. I gave it another clean out when I got home and it has been fine ever since.

1 Like

@tgcumbria
I’ve been thinking of flying off the end of Boscombe pier as long as the wind isn’t too strong. Anyone else tried flying off a pier?

Old Victorian piers can have loads of cast iron under the wooden decking, and more recent ones with concrete decks can have a large amount of rebar in them.

Expect magnetic interference messages and inability to start motors.

With either, try a different locations (perhaps only a few feet different) until you don’t get any message, and you’re good to fly.

1 Like

Hi @Megalot I’m just along the road from you in Wallsend. I’ve flown from St Mary’s carpark in Whitley bay and from Whitley beach, Cullercoats and Tynemouth beach with no problems except seagulls. Early in the morning the beaches are quiet but the gulls seem to be a bit more aggressive probably hungry. Recently I went to Cambois where a experienced (very brave) drone pilot give me a lesson in flying around seagulls to overcome my fear of losing my drone to one. He reckons that if you turn off your sensors they don’t bother you, something to do with the ultrasonic and the whole 17 minute flight with no sensors on I never got bothered by any. North Tyneside council have set up a drone watch around St Mary’s lighthouse and have said the police will be called if a drone is spotted because they reckon people have damaged it with drones :joy: so dont fly there.

1 Like

Thanks everyone

That thought did cross my mind, thanks

choose your time , and there wont be a problem, I regularly fly in a park with dog walkers about, I dont have any problems. if theres too many about , I just pack up and either move or go home

@Megalot I’m over the river in Ovington. I fly all over the place. I like the river road (north side) to launch from and have flown 1.2km from there. PM me and we could meet up? Or at least talk places to fly?

Hi Megalot. I’m from Amble and fly the beaches and harbour area quite often. I have had no issues so far, I just stay where there are no ( or few) people. I have had curious passersby asking what I was flying, etc. but no adverse reactions. I think just being sensible goes a long way.

2 Likes

I live in Seaton sluice and took my dji mini 2 for its first flight near Saint Mary’s Lighthouse. At the time I hadn’t taken my test for the flyer ID. I have since as I wanted to educate myself. I made the mistake of posting the image I took from a 3m flight on the Seaton sluice community Facebook page. I had very positive comments. But someone did point out that it was still classed as the nature reserve. I thought I was 150m from it. Someone else pointed me to a post that day from the Saint Mary’s Island nature reserve. Reminding people to not fly there. I felt sick after reading all the negative comments about drone pilots. Some saying smash their drones and take their phones to give to the police. I’m disabled so thought a drone would help me get back into photography as I can’t get to a lot of places due to mobility issues. It does look like Northumberland council are making all the beaches no fly zones. Yet the Northumberland national park website says the parks are for everyone to enjoy including drone pilots, as long as they abide by the caa rules. So I’m also at a loss as to where in Northumberland I can fly.

1 Like

Fly most places but never post on Facebook :wink:

1 Like

I should have known. I’ve never been a fan of Facebook and this has put me off even more. I’ve contacted the saint marys island nature group that made the no drones post. Just to apologise and own up to making an honest mistake. Some people say they’ve been given permission to fly but from a distance. I’m hoping they clarify the new rules. This was the image I took.

2 Likes

Been down for a walk and found this sign in a really obscure place. Well off the beaten track. Unfortunately it looks like the whole of Seaton sluice is a no fly zone. It’s a bit vague as it shows a map saying no drones in the blue area but also says from Tynemouth to Seaton sluice. :pleading_face:

I’m a North Tyneside resident and have just notices this story. I’ve flown there but would consider it with a risk assessment. This is my take on this. Airspace is controlled by the CAA no one else. The council can apply for a bylaw to restrict drones but as far as I can tell one does not exist. Flying is SSSI areas is a complex one, as you can be fined for disturbing wildlife under the WCA 1981, and each area has its own restrictions. But if you’re flying high >200 feet then you’re unlikely to disturb wildlife. SSSI can also be given for plants and geology which you are unlikely to affect flying over with a drone. The one thing to remember is that your need permission to take off and land. Some beeches between high and low water marks are crown property which have a blanket permission for drone use Crown property map

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with this post! Regarding areas of special scientific interest, I queried this as it covers the whole of the north east coast and was told only applies during winter months when birds are nesting. Will try to find the email and post.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s probably the least negative response I’ve seen from such a body.

Actually - a very sensible response and no claims of some uber-power that’s not been bestowed upon them.

If only all such bodies would communicate in such terms.