Which A2 Training Provider did you use?

I’ve been flying since 2012 so have days, if not weeks, worth flying time. Just none since doing the training for the test due to lockdown and living in London where there are just parks and congested areas. Nearest A3 zone would be at least Covid fine away.

I don’t think Coptrz are doing this right to be honest…

It’s a shame that you’re giving up becuase of them.

As widely discussed, there is no CAA stipulation in this respect.

Ned

@MrMPW Hey Matt, has something changed recently?

Ned

CAP 722B Page 32
“There are no practical flight test requirements for the A2 CofC.”

“Completion of a period of practical flight training, either under the guidance of an
RAE or under ‘self-monitored’ circumstances, conducted within the operating
conditions of subcategory A3 but simulating the operating situations associated with
the A2 subcategory.”

As long as you are “self monitored” and covering the requirements of the category or sub category, why can’t you do the exam?

As with UAVHUB, a self certification of your competence should be all that’s required.

John

Another strange part of this (aside from this not actually being what the CAA requires, nor what other training providers do) is that renewing the PfCO has a much more stringent requirement where the CAA actually need you to send them your flight logs to demonstrate you’ve the requisite flight-time… but they recognised that people couldn’t maintain the 2-hour requirement during lockdown so they waived the requirement. Odd that they’d do that for the PfCO renewals but not the self-certified A2CofC.

If I were you, I’d run this by the CAA directly and see what they say because either Coptrz have misunderstood the CAA guidance, or every other training provider has. uavenquiries@caa.co.uk

5 Likes

JoeC,
I hear what you say and have written to the CAA now.
Thank you,
Paul

1 Like

That’s a frightening thought :rofl:

2 Likes

I did, and I wasn’t worried.

1 Like

I just finished a day of Classroom Stuff for my A2CofC at Coptrz, now have to do 4 hours flying with a minimum of 2 hours since i enrolled (yesterday) making sure i do a check list of things i need to cover, then send in evidence in the form of the check list and flight logs saying I have done it.

then I can sit the exam.

This… :arrow_up:

If you’re a newbie, never flown, then fair enough, but you can’t do this under current lockdown rules… drone flying is a recreation that isn’t exempt.

If you’ve flown before and can honestly sign the declaration…

@paul.wingfield Did you hear from the CAA?

Ned

1 Like

Just sounds like Coptrz are making it up as they go along.

3 Likes

I pinged MrMPW a message a few days ago, but no response yet, he’s got bigger fish to fry right now.

For those who might not be aware, MrMPW runs UAVHUB, and as a reputable, certified training provider, he’d have some views on this.

Ned

2 Likes

Im sure he replied your similar question here

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time

4 Likes

Could be, but that is what they want. 4 hours flight logged and at least 2 of them MUST be after you enrolled on the course. Which in my case was yesterday.

Im planning on taking a walk down to the shore and flatten my batteries twice tomorrow, that should get me about 2 hours (have 3 batts). “I went out with the drone for some fresh air and excercise” Everthing has to be done in A3 space anyway, so im out of the way and there is no requirement to film/photgraph anything so im just going to do that, dont think anyone will bother me.

2 Likes

Yeah, he has, but I was more interested in if something might have changed recently.

Ned

I hope not mate. What you are saying makes perfect sense to me.

I did my training with Coptrz. It was only after I had paid for the test, and submitted my documentation including flight logs, that they told me about the requirement for 2 hours AFTER the training. As this would be illegal at the moment, I declined and took a refund instead.
I can find no official requirement for post training hours and CAP722B simply states the following:-

@PingSpike No one from Coptrz on the forum Rich?

Ned

No idea mate :man_shrugging: