Which mobile device

… is best and good value for using with a mavic air?

That’s probably the most open ended question I’ve ever seen asked. LOL!

Dedicated device? Android/iOS? Phone/tablet size? Limited/No budget? Bright screen important?

I love open ended questions:grin: this way you get some interesting answers
I am totaly new to Drones so I dont know what I need even less what I want.

Android/ ios whais the difference to the drone experience?
Phone/ tablet does it mater, opimum screen size and screen needs to be viewable in a range of light conditions

Budget say 100 pound

Well - 100 quid pretty much writes off the iOS option. You might find an old, second-hand, iPad Mini 3 … but I doubt it.

Phone/tablet … it makes a difference to some people who find a phone too small. I’m happy with a phone, but then I’ve never tried a tablet to know what I might be missing out on.

Bright screen … again, probably limited for a £100 budget.

Can’t take this one much further myself - but at least others know what the base criteria are.

I appreciate your help.

Does the phone need an internet connection?

Not during flight (I’m always in airplane mode) … only for installation of software.

Thats good. I could start using my android phone to start with.

I would stil like to know what other people think.

1 Like

Unless you want to use Facebook or YouTube Live during your flight

1 Like

Now we’re getting esoteric … LOL!
But you are correct … but (a) lack of desire, (b) being FBphobic and © probably an inadequate mobile signal when I might want to … renders it of no interest to me. :wink:

Can you copyright protect that ;o)

2 Likes

It’s annoying that it changes (+c+) into ©

Hi
I started with my Samsung S8, and found it a bit small as the Go4 app warning mesages were too small for me to read. So I got myself an 8" Asus ZenPad Z380C, which cost just under £140, I then put a matt non-reflective screen protector on it which really helpsto see it better. I have it on full brightness, but it is obviously easier to see if it is in shade. I’m sure I could come up with a sun shade for it from some thin card (Blue Peter style… lol).
So I consider it a good buy, I can now see the warnings that come up plus much easier to see all the other info and menus etc.

I got this mount for it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-12-Phone-Tablet-Extension-Holder-Cradle-Bracket-For-DJI-MAVIC-PRO-Drone-RC-ds/292530829764?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

And this was the link on ebay for the screen protectors: 2x ANTIGLARE MATTE Screen Protector Covers for Asus ZenPad 8.0 (Z380C, Z380CG) | eBay

Hope this is of interest.

3 Likes

That’s really useful. I have a tablet but it is 10" which seems too large.

Probably worth trying, just at home without actually flying, and seeing how you find the size and brightness … before getting a suitable mount.

Yeah I chose the 8" as I thought a 10" would be too large and cumbersome, the mount I got would take a 10" tab, and for under £10 it was certainly worth a try, it fits neatly into the controller, I use the usb on the bottom of the controller so I cut a little notch on the mount plate to allow the cable to come up without stopping the plate fitting fully into the controller.
See the pics.20180720_16554020180720_165608

2 Likes

I’ve yet to try anything larger than my phone that fits in the RC arms OK … but, whilst pretty much all the RC info is in the app, I’ve just got used to looking at the RC for some of it … and the idea of that being hidden spooks me! That’s just me, I expect, though. One day I may try something larger.

Yeah I was thinking that, but you can still see the RC by tilting the whole thing back a bit, but I’m getting used to it as everything on the RC is on the app screen. Even more infact, you can display a histogram showing your exposure info which could be quite useful, plus other things.

1 Like

which usb cable have used it seems different to others I have seen. Is there a particular specification that made you choose the 8" Asus ZenPad Z380C It is no longer available. The only 8" tablet now available is the 8" Asus is the ZenPad Z380M and that is refurbished, seems to be a good price. I presume it is a later version.

@ Ronidog

The cable I got on ebay, this is the link

The Tab I was brand new and got it in Currys PC World, this is the link
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/asus-zenpad-z380m-8-0-tablet-16-gb-grey-10146813-pdt.html

As far as I can see it is the same as the one I got, I am not sure if it was a C or M, I think mine had Android 6 Marshmallow, but it did a software update and it is now Android 7. There was no particular reason for getting this tab, but it does have a pretty good spec for the money, and I didn’t want to go to a 10". I do like Asus stuff I have one of their laptops and previously had one as well, and have been very happy with them.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a discussion somewhere about a tablet from Argos for around £80?

Anyway, one thing I like about iOS devices is that they do not drain the RC battery by charging the iphone/ipad. Haven’t ever had the app disconnect on iOS either.

Androids are hit and miss with app crashes and I think they all drain the RC battery because you can’t stop the RC from charging the device (without rooting the device).

Easier to downgrade the DJI app with Android.

1 Like