Which video editing software

Goodluck with your page and hope you get the right program, remember you will need a top spec video editing computer as if your editing 4k and I think it does C4K also any program be useless,

Btw loved the pic of the wyle cop as it brings back loads of memories.:+1:

Morning all :blush:
Looking for a decent & easy to use editing program for my Mac , Iā€™ve watched many a videos & listened to many opinions on this & each & everyone to their own , Iā€™ve only ever used things that come as standard with Mac or I phone but I no thereā€™s much better out there so I was hoping for a bit of advice if possible , used things like I movie for pictures of the family years ago which done a decent job for that but I donā€™t think itā€™s the go to for the drone , I donā€™t want to be to premature as Iā€™m still learning to try edit my pictures but I know the video side of things is a lot more complex or skilled for better words,my main worry is for the videos , Iā€™ve watched a few videos weā€™re even tho being videod at the correct fps shutter speed & the correct settings iso values aswell,sometimes the videos can still look choppy & stuttering,I think thereā€™s software out there that you can smooth things out but I have no clue as the best to go to & for a novice in this,ideally if thereā€™s a program that can adjust all this in post & also edit my photos to that would be excellent & give me something to learn upon & work with !
I welcome any thoughts maybe Iā€™m asking a bit to much when I say an easy one to use,only reason I said that as some of the videos I have seen I donā€™t quite understand the values that get changed in post to iron out or edit the bits needed , Iā€™m happy to learn it would be great if there is a program thatā€™s not to difficult as said for a novice like myself or one thatā€™s straight forward.
Many thanks in advance

Edit ok after only a quick browse of the threads above which I need to scroll threw one by one my main corncern if somebody kindly has the answer before I scroll the many many posts is the go to mainly for ironing out the stutter choppy video footage Iā€™m sure again as said everyone will have there preferred go too but Iā€™ll give whatever a try.
Thanks again

Moved your post to this thread - lots of info above. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve read somewhere that between H.264 and H.265 video file standards, one is harder for computers to playback. I checked: H.264 is easier to play back. The advantage of H.265 is smaller full size.

Can you check which format youā€™re recording? You can check in DJI Fly app settings, or open in QuickTime and do a Cmd-I.

For video editing (Iā€™ve only done a few) I use iMovie; itā€™s free with the Mac. Itā€™s not too complicated, and itā€™s not too bad for clipping videos, adding sound, titles and transitions. It doesnā€™t do fine-grained colour grading, but what it has can make videos look better.

And a further thought: what FPS setting? 60 frames per second is relatively harder to playback than 30.

2 Likes

Personally I use Shotcut as itā€™s free, works well and I find it the easiest to use.

1 Like

Hi Andy yes Iā€™ll check those settings I had the video on auto so not sure what it was shooting in , Iā€™ve found I movie really good a few years ago for stitching family pics together , so itā€™s a go to for drone video too ?
Many thanks mate

To add H264 I think MOV too :+1:t2:

Thanks Gary
Does it iron out the sometimes choppy juddery footage
Many thanks

It will depend why itā€™s choppy juddery.

If your SD card is too slow, you drone wonā€™t be able to record all the frames, and video editing software canā€™t add those back in. Which SD card do you use?

If your computer struggles playing H.265 encoded video, video editing software may not be able to help unless it can output a H.264 video that your computer finds easier to play. Fix this by checking DJI Fly has recording set to H.264.

If your droneā€™s gimbal is doing weird things, the footage might not be stable. That may be fixable by video software but I doubt it would work well for every video.

if you are recording in 60 frames per second, your computer may struggle to play it back. Try fix this by recording at 30 frames per second.

Next Iā€™m going to ask you to open the video in QuickTime, to a CMD-I (letter I for India) and show the properties of one of your juddery videos.

1 Like

Preview is just as good and should be default on your Mac for opening video files

1 Like

Thanks mate
I deleted the video but Iā€™ll do another one when Iā€™m out , I am using sandisk pro extreme , Iā€™d like to add , the video I done was just a mess around , around a field flat out in sport mode just testing & in auto mode while recording.
That was a recording to the drones internal memory , I also noticed tiny glitches occasionally to the screen when flying / recording not lag just maybe finger movement on sticks :thinking: maybe because I was flying flat out the video could not keep up with the speed of the drone , however when I played it back the footage it looked slow & stuttered compared to the speed of the drone on looking in person.
Hope this makes sense Thankyou for your input.

Sorry yes it is de fault :+1:t2:

1 Like

Open a video as @BadManners says and hit CMD and i to get all the info you need

2 Likes

To be honest I donā€™t recall what the default settings are (and they may even have changed over time)

To be clear the H.264 vs H.265 setting is not found here.

The H.264 vs H.265 is the ā€œcoding formatā€ bit of the settings area and is here. H.264 is easier for computers to decode (one of the many things to check)

1 Like

Thankyou for that shall I use mp4 or mov ? What do you think is better & appreciate everyoneā€™s input
Many thanks

1 Like

Both are containers for the files within. There is no better or worse.

If you are using Mac then choose MOV, if you are using windows then MP4.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thankyou for your reply ā€œ Mac so mov ā€œ is that the same for iOS I phone stupid question I no if Iā€™m only sharing or using on I phone for small edits if that makes sense , or is mov better for when post on the Mack book but is mp4 ok for the I phone.
Many thanks

Thanks Chris Iā€™ll watch that in a mo .
Much appreciated

1 Like

Openshot video editor, free no thrills and just what I need

2 Likes

read that all taken in and will read again a couple more times , pros & cons for both I see , I guess for me do one in mp4 one in mov & regardless as to using a Mac see which one looks the best before edit maybe , I have to say my settings have always been pretty much by default & never new about mov , so it was always in mp4 so with that said about 3 months ago when I was shooting a video & again just a test it was much smoother straight out the bag in mp4 over mov & without edit.
I will do one of each same height same route same time & compare them side by side.
Thankyou for the link :+1:t2: Much appreciated.