Anatomy of DJI Drone ID Implementation (re: AeroScope)

Continuing the discussion from DJI launching what?

Turns out this isn’t as common knowledge as I thought, so here’s a thread to give you some insight in to what your DJI drone is currently broadcasting for the world to see.

Further to this 2017 press release about AeroScope: DJI Demonstrates ‘Drone License Plate’ Technology And Drone Pilot Knowledge Quiz

Here’s how your DJI firmware has been broadcasting your take off location, RTH location, current speed, altitude and all sorts of other information to anyone who’s been listening, for the last two years or more.

It’s a hefty read, but a serious eye opener if you had no clue that any of this was going on inside your drone:

Anatomy-of-DJI-Drone-ID-Implementation.pdf (1.7 MB)

And the code to allow you to spoof DJI Drone IDs has been in the public domain for as many years too, courtesy of @jan2642 :

3 Likes

What version of the firmware was this introduced @PingSpike?

Would like to know the same. I’m on a very early modded FW. Hopefully this was implemented after.

I remember people using an app called Floater which could change your gps location to the US and enable people to use FCC mode. Wonder if that will work to hide your location?

It wouldn’t hide the RTH location … and I’m not sure of the consequences (in app/drone behaviour terms) if they thought the operator was (say) 10km away.
Might be worth a test.

Of course - it won’t change the RTH that’s being transmitted.

One could immediately change the RTH to “where you are” … but then all the battery warnings to achieve RTH would go into meltdown.

2 Likes

On the Mavic Pro, from v01.03.0800 onwards.

I enquired just last week:

That’s me safe then (on this at least)

Hmmm - so the version with Panos is v01.04.xxxx onwards.

I must check out Litchi panos again … :wink:

Here’s what the average DJI drone is currently broadcasting:

1 Like

Thanks, very useful.

Any info on settings to temporarily prevent broadcast of some of the data, and results when they are used?

It’s under Remote Identification in the GO4 and GO5 apps:

Old GO4 screenshot so the specifics may be different, but you’ll get the idea.

This won’t prevent AeroScope reading you though.

I’m also guessing DJI will force-enable this setting, or remove it completely (ie. forced on), in the future.

The only truly safe way is custom firmware.

Or a non-DJI drone :wink:

1 Like

At the moment, what part of the custom FW disables the broadcast? Is it something you have to specifically disable?

I’m on one of the first CFWs that Digdat0 did a video on.

Not sure where to stick this, here looks ok

The Ukrainian army is concerned that the Chinese have decided to equip AeroScope by the end of 2023 with a special encryption system, which will allow the Russian army to accurately determine the location of its drone operators and hit them with their own weapons.

At the same time, the Chinese company did not allow users access to Kiev, by encrypting the software system. This indicates that DJI seeks to prevent Ukraine from accessing this effective and inexpensive interception system, while demonstrating China’s clear desire to give Russia a significant advantage in its efforts to track down Ukrainian operators.

Copies of the software used so far by Ukrainians are becoming obsolete, which makes it impossible to fight against the attacks of DJI drones equipped with the Russian armed forces. It is emphasised that the encrypted version of the software will prevent the Ukrainian armed forces from intercepting signals from similar enemy drones without a new system security key.

Kiev has protested several times and demanded that DJI change its position. However, the Chinese ignored their demands and protests. The Ukrainian armed forces must now quickly replace tens of thousands of DJI drones so that Ukrainian operators are not victims of Russian attacks thanks to the Aeroscope system.

Currently, the Ukrainian Minister of Digital Transformation, Mikhail Fedorov, responsible for the technological component of the combatting operations against Russia, is seeking to get rid of all dual-use products provided by China. Aeroscope software is the main source of intelligence for Russian electronic warfare and electronic warfare units. This has already allowed our troops to inflict significant damage on the Ukrainian armed forces - the information collected is transmitted to gun artillery, MLRS, aviation and groups equipped with Russian kamikaze drones that hit Ukrainians.

https://x.com/sprex64/status/1725198495836201112?s=46&t=7nuR0Nu7cnhx87rFEia6eQ

1 Like

That video is interesting:

That is the video in the first link I posted, with all the details and the firmware download :grinning:

Yes indeed, I was just pulling it out of their web site and putting it on here :smiley: