Who needs Cree when you can have RGB đź‘Ť

I finally got round to adding some light to the Cygnet…

32 in fact (it’s a bit bright)

WARNING: This video may potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. Viewer discretion is advised

Warning #2 - Cheesy video follows

7 Likes

There’s pretty! What are they, how much and where do you get them? :slight_smile:

1 Like

1M WS2812B RGB led strip from Amazon (144 LED per M)
£14.99 (and lots of cutting and soldering :+1:) The lights alone won’t do anything - they need to be connected to a controller, the Flight controller board does all the heavy lifting in my case.

It’s hard to look at in person when it’s flashing :sunglasses:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082K9F7GQ/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

1 Like

So that’s around fifty quid to cover my Tarot X8. Hmmm …

1 Like

What flight controller do you have? - Betaflight has a hard limit of 32 controlled RGB LED’s

You could use one of these to go beyond that…

They don’t have the versatility of Betaflight LED control though - but can be powered direct from the Battery :+1:

The more lights you add - you’ll obviously need to check your 5v BEC can supply enough current unless you’re using a stand-alone controller and using Vbatt :slight_smile:
(Apologies if I’m teaching you to suck eggs :wink: )

I think the LED’s I’m using draw 50mA when displaying solid white and I think my 5v output is 2A so…

32 LED’s x 50mA = 1.6A MAX
R9mm = 100mA
VTX = Uses VBatt :slight_smile:

So I should be fine - I’m yet to try it in the air :crossed_fingers:

Here’s some decent info from the Bard :+1:

2 Likes

Oops, maybe I got a little to close to Daves’ Cygnet… :rofl:

1 Like

F@ck me! That disco flashing was mental. And now your lipo is flat lol. Nice. Love it!

2 Likes

Hoping it doesn’t affect it too much, (I can turn them off and on at will :wink: )
I’m charging everything up now - hopefully going to test this a bit later :+1:
Worried it may attract a bit of attention :man_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

Well I managed to get out in between rain and wind - the Led’s didn’t affect the battery life in any noticeable way :+1:

I was struggling a bit with numb fingers - it was 1°C

2 Likes

Very impressive Dave, only problem is the local wildlife are now rubbing their eyes, wondering whatthefuckwasthat… :grinning:

2 Likes

Aye - I did the last flight LOS after the MM had landed - it was too dark to see via FPV - I did all the colour testing whilst doing punch-outs - it looked like a UFO / mad yo-yo :rofl:

1 Like