Will better goggles make a difference?

My first goggles were viper box goggles which I got because of price and they work with glasses.

Now I’m like, let’s crank it up and I’ll get lenses made for some proper goggles. Obviously fatshark. (dji is still down they line…)

Couple of questions…

Will this make s big improvement to my long range reception?

What set is best?

What’s this extra ‘module’ you can add?

Is byte frost worth looking at?

Thanks!

I’ve got the fatshark scout goggles, they are an extremely low profile box goggle pretty sure they’d take glasses as well. But as for the dominator style goggles I think you’d need to try them on bit difficult with needing prescription lenses though… I tried on a pair and I couldn’t get on with them. But then again I didn’t really give them a proper chance.

I’d be willing to get some custom lenses made, but want to know the benefits of switching up (other than looking much cooler, obvs!)

I tried on @notveryprettyboy pair to try them out and I didn’t like them compared to my scouts. I found the FOV to be less but that could be due to the 4:3 aspect ratio when I’m used to 6:9 of the scouts. And I didn’t like the smaller screen.

But I guess it’s all personal preference.

The problem with opinions on specific goggle recommendations is that in the most part they are very subjective. Our head and face shapes and sizes are different, and just as important so is our eyesight.

My first goggles were Fatshark Attitudes with a basic built in 8ch receiver. At the time (late 2013) they were considered to be mid to high end. Personally I didn’t like them that much and considered them to be a means to an end. The edges of the field of view were terribly distorted, they fogged up very quickly, and the IPD adjustment range was limited. I still have them but I’ve modified them by removing the 8ch receiver (not an easy task) and replacing with a 32ch Nexwave unit. I’ve also removed the rubber eyecups and fitted a HD faceplate and fan unit. I needed to 3D print some clips to keep the faceplate secure.

The next set of goggles I purchased were the Flysight SPX02’s, I think I got these in 2017. For the money they were very well spec’d. They came with a built in 40ch diversity system (two totally independent receivers), a WVGA screen resolution of 854px480p 16:9. For me these were a big improvement over the Attitudes. The image was sharper and they had much better colour rendition. IPD adjustment was better also but still not great. I thought my head, along with most of me, was a bit abnormal but in reality as these goggles are often designed and made in China they probably use an Asian face as a profile. Oh and these goggles had the huge benefit of running of a 2s to 6s battery.

Very recently I have acquired another set. Again these were made by Flysight but this time they are the Falcon FG02’s. These are very similar to the Fatshark HDO’s. They have a receiver module bay so you can use anything from a very basic Nexwave module to an all singing and dancing Rapidfire diversity module. They also have a built-in DVR.
The screen resolution is the same as the SPX02’s but they have a bigger field of view. Also the screen format is switchable between 16:9 and 4:3. The optics have also been improved dramatically. They come with various thicknesses of foam for the faceplate, I’ve found with the thinner foam that I get the best image. I bought these of eBay for £51 supplied with a basic 7ch receiver which I intend to swap out. I saw that yesterday the same goggles sold on eBay for £87 with an Achilles module. These goggles originally sold for £250 without a module.

I have tried very box goggle solutions but little to no success. I’m long sighted and to get any reasonable image I had to use my reading glasses.

Goggle buying is fraught with problems mainly because you have very little opportunity to try before you buy. Recently I tried a friends set of HD3’s and HDO#’s. I’m relieved I didn’t buy these purely on the written spec’s otherwise it would have been a lot of money wasted. They are very good goggles but to get them to work for me would be too frustrating.

If you want the greatest flexibility separate receiver modules are the way to go. There are many options on 5.8GHz from the budget Eachine Pro58 (£18 on BG), but with alternative firmware can be made to out perform many of the more expensive modules, through to the RapidFire module (£130 to £150) which employs some snazzy frame integration. You also don’t have to limit yourself to 5.8GHz as there are also modules available for 2.4GHz and 1.3GHz.

Best advice is not to rush into a purchase. Try and get to try various different models when you get to meet up with others. Also check out Joshua Bardwell’s YouTube channel, he has done some very exhaustive testing on nearly all the available goggles and modules available. Unlike many other well known YouTube “testers” he’s not shillin for a Chinese Box Shifter even though he openly points out his affiliate links.

I mentioned the Eachine Pro58 module from Banggood. I chose this as it offers the biggest bang for the buck, especially when you upgrade the firmware, of which there are two types, a very good free option and an incredible but pay to play version. I ordered my module from Banggood’s UK warehouse last Sunday and a parcel was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately they sent me a crappy little DVR box instead of the module so now I’m having to do the dumb dance of taking pictures and video to show that they sent the wrong item, and as China is many ours ahead of us this is going to be hard work to sort out :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:.

Nidge.

My thoughts exactly. Our normal vision is more of a 16:9 format rather than 4:3. How many of you, like me just cannot watch an old sitcom on a widescreen TV because it’s being broadcast in 4:3 format?

1 Like

I was always led to believe we had 3:2 vision?

I’m in Bath in a week or two if you want to try skyzone 16:9

I like to think I have 20-20 vision. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah let me know when you’re here? It’d be nice to catch up…

1 Like

Oh I see, so you have the fatshark goggles (or whatever) but the module actually is the receiver for the signal?

Yes. The module does all the RF stuff and the goggles process the video. Though not all modules work the same. Some have two individual receivers for diversity reception while some will have just one receiver and switch between two antennas, known as antenna diversity. The premium modules will use two receivers but rather than switching between the two based on which one has the strongest signal, they’ll use both receivers and combine both signals.