Graig Fatha Wind Farm - Added to Wind Farms in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Park in the lay-by on the narrow B road indictaed by the pin and then either fly from there or trudge across common land to be nearer.

On a clear day, from this location you can see for miles - my shot is from a slightly different location and is from private property that I had permission (know the owner) to fly from. Where the pin is, you won’t be this close not even after half an hour walking across the fields.

As ever with these locations - stout, waterproof footwear is advised.

4 Likes

Are you stalking me :rofl:

2 Likes

Just adding the places I’ve been to to help others, honest guv.

90% of the places I’ve added are less than 20m drive from my house and I’ve been remiss in not adding them. In a way, I wish others had added them already so I didn’t have to work it out :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah I know, I’m only kidding :smile: I’ve been too lazy to add them myself if I’m honest :rofl:

1 Like

Well I’m back in work tomorrow so you can take over - going to add one more local one and then I think I’m done for now.

1 Like

I want to fly here @stubbyd, have you got any other tips or advice?

2 Likes

Do you know the area at all?

The road to/from (depending on which end you start) can be very narrow and windy and you may need to reverse at times.

But where I’ve indicated the parking area (Google maps calls it the Taff Ely Ridgeway Car Park) , then that is just a layby and on some days (summer ones especially) local youth go here to party. So you may see a lot of mess if the council, or a good Samaritan, haven’t been to tidy recently.

It is away from houses, people, etc and only likely to be sheep disturbing you. The ground between the park area and the windmills is rough, open terrain and it is advisable to wear stout footwear if you wish to walk (aka zoom) closer to them. Otherwise, you can probably fly straight from the car park depending on your willingness (or not) to stretch VLOS.

I’d say take a look at street view for an idea of what it looks like and/or what to expect.

HTH.

2 Likes

Hi @snapyou, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks.

I am a member of the Ripple Graig Fatha project which operates a Wind Turbine to the far East of the Wind Farm.
I did manage to get a photo from a side road near Coedely, but it is in the valley so whilst you can go up to 400ft, you can’t get much nearer without losing sight.
Looking again at the grid reference for the turbine, it would be really stretching the VLOS to get nearer from Taff Ely Ridgeway Car Park.
When I am next passing, I will go to Smaelog Woods and walk up to Cariad Rock, which is a little closer and will be easier to keep VLOS. The views from Cariad Rock look pretty spectacular.

David

Which is why I said it depends on your willingness to stretch VLOS.

Hadn’t heard of Smaelog Woods, but the car park I list is closer in pure straight line distance. It’s a fraction over 1km whereas the woods are over 2km depending on spot, but Cariad rock looks ideal as it is 500m to nearest one. Depends on any angle you want and how much walking you are prepared to put in, willingness to [cough] “adapt”, etc.

When I took my shot I trogged across the open heath and was probably 100m or so from nearest windmill.

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @stubbyd :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve flown here too @stubbyd :grin:

2 Likes

Your location is only about 20/25 minutes from me, and whilst I’ve driven past many a times I confess to never having been. Cariad rocks look like an interesting walk on a nice day, so will hopefully drag the family out there later this year.

BTW - are you South Wales based? If so, there isn’t much (any?) @group-wales activity but you could join it and if you fancy organising a local meet then sling a message to it.

Hi

I suspect putting in some effort to go from Taff Ely Ridgeway Car Park you will get a much wider range of photos. The location looks stunning.

The one I tagged has its problems, but simplest way to get photo of the wind turbine in which I own a fractional share.

I am not South Wales based, persuaded my wife to do an overnight stop to go to the Royal Mint and for me to see if I could get the below photo. Weather was cold and started raining as we were leaving but would like to come back in warmer weather and go to Taff Ely Ridgeway Car Park or Cariad Rock.

David

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am in Penarth. I will check out your suggestions. I have flown around Penarth and Cardiff Bay recently. Cardiff County Hall is to be demolished soon so have videoed it before it goes. I will suggest a meet-up once I find a suitable spot. bw Neil