Would a mavic mini be worth buying or should I wait

I have a hubsan h501s cheap drone. Mavic mini are in my price range or would it be best to wait and get something bigger and would the jump from my hubsan be much more?
Thanks

1 Like

The jump from the hubsan to DJI IMO would be massive, in terms of quality, not that the hubsan is poor, please don’t take that wrong way. I’ve owned drones made by MJX similar to that of the hubsan, and they were great, well until I got my hands on a MP… wow.

I’ve heard great things about the mini but heard better things about the pro series. All comes down to budget, the mini is very affordable but your very limited to distance, wind etc where as with the pro series they deal with it all and very well.

Anyone local you can call upon to maybe have a test flight?

1 Like

Lets see if we can get out later this week and you can have a play with the Mini and MP ;o)

5 Likes

Hi, I have a mavic mini and I love it to bits , I would agree it’s frustrating when you cannot fly because the breeze is to strong and yes the distance reception is low and is very effected by interference but all that excepted the video quality is great and it’s great fun to fly , please remember I am very new to flying and it’s my first real drone but it’s got me up there and helped me learn to fly and every flight gains me more confidence. Everyone here will have more knowledge and experience than me and you would do better to take their advise I’m just saying I get a lot of enjoyment out of the mavic mini.

6 Likes

I completely agree with ScottyDog. I love my mini. I upgraded from the DJI Spark and I’m so glad I did. I’ve only had a couple of times where I couldn’t fly due to winds but the times I have been able to are an absolute joy. I’m just a novice so can’t really give any other advice sorry. Do hope my glowing recommendation helps a little though.

Mark

4 Likes

I bought the mini and love it, BUT, wish I had held on for the mavic air 2 just for the extra features and better wind tolerance… Overall the mini is a awesome piece of kit for the price point and would recommend it to anyone .

2 Likes

Hi I don’t take that the wrong way. It’s true. I knew when I bought the hubsan it was a very cheap and starter drone with some features. Got it to see if I could fly it ok and if I would enjoy it enough to use a drone regularly and I do love flying and now I want better picture and feel more flying confidence as the hubsan has a few time gone crazy.

2 Likes

Personally I couldn’t recommend the Mavic pro more, good deals can be had for around 500-600 on fleabay or gum tree, maybe even on here. Definitely a purchase I haven’t regretted. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi Chris I would love to meet and look at the mavic mini and pro thanks. Not sure if your free on Thursday night? Think the main thing is if I got a mini I would want the combo but it’s more affordable. The pro combo is obviously more but I’m not sure on second hand. Or i wait abit to buy pro.

1 Like

PM’ed

1 Like

F ing just seen mavic mini does 2.5mls away. If that’s right that’s fine for me my hubsan only been out a 800m then bring it back. :rofl:.
I know to everyone on here that will be nothing.

1 Like

See you Friday :wink:

2 Likes

Just my tuppence worth. I bought a Mavic Mini fly more combo to get me started as, relatively speaking, it’s cheap. Got it home, within 15 minutes it was hovering in the garden. I just wanted to see if I could actually fly it, and found out it’s very easy. Since then I’ve bought a M2P from one of the members here, and I take them both out now and practice with both. For the money the Mini is brilliant, you can’t really knock it at all. After flying the M2P it does feel a little flimsy, but it’s really easy to control. As for the wind, if it’s so windy you’re worrying about it you probably won’t go out with any drone.
Go with the best you can afford without ruining your fun by overspending, and if that means you buy the MM I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

3 Likes

Thanks. Yeah I dont take my hubsan out if it’s any worse than about gusts of 13mph normal wind around 9 or 10mph. Thanks for advice everyone. Chris is letting me try his. So I’ll know more then. Yeah mini is more my price range but would love a pro. Pictures on both look great so I’d be happy.

1 Like

Scottydog said exactly what I would. Mini was (and is) my first drone and I love it. I fly 2-3 times a month and get more confident every time, but I still panic when I see the strong wind warnings. Apps like UAV Forecast give me a good idea of where the gusts are, though, so I try to position myself correctly in case things change and I need to “drag” it home. I only had concerns with signal strength a couple of times (when my video would freeze for a few seconds), but nothing major.

I wanted the mini because of a) price and b) weight. Something I could throw at the back of the suitcase when travelling somewhere (and probably be on the safe side of legislation). Now I’m a bit worried that I can’t fly close to the sea or in other unfavourable conditions, but I’m not even thinking about upgrading to a M2P (yet).

The video quality is amazing and it’s super stable and easy to fly. Never regretted getting it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info. What sort of wind does it struggle in and is on shore lines a no go because of wind?
Thanks

I have both the Mav Mini Fly More and MA2 Fly More, the Mini Is an awesome piece of kit, for its size it can’t really be expected to more than it does already. It flys further than you ever really need it to and in my experience is more than good enough in wind, the only difficulty I ever had was when I once took it up above a thick tree line and there was a heavy sustained wind which gradually took it away but I managed to loose some altitude and bring it back without much of an issue. I have also found it handles sudden gusts really well, always recovering after being buffeted about for a few seconds. Most importantly it takes really good pictures and footage, the MA2 is better but in much of my MM footage you’d struggle to tell the difference, it’s smooth detailed and has no visible evidence of gimble wobble or jumping, I love it and for now it still has a place in my drone life.

ps I have flown the MM on the shore line when the wind was low, but it picked up and I suspect it would have still been fine but I care more about my drones than the shot so I brought it back in.

1 Like

I personally try to stay under wind gusts of 17mph but definitely less than 20 mph

1 Like

I’ve had my MM for just over a month now and I’m still really happy with it.

I think that if you accept that it isn’t the best drone out there, and lacks the features of it’s bigger siblings… what it can do for the money is awesome.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Briefly, I have previously owned a Potensic M2 and a Hubsan X4 and really am only learning the basics. However, I am absolutely AMAZED at the sort of photos and videos you can get from altitude and distance with drones - truly amazed and I am addicted.
My question is how good is a Mavic Mini? I really only like selfies of me and my family from distance and high as possible pics of the neighbourhood?