Aston-by-Stone Hall, Staffordshire - Added to Historic Buildings in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Aston-by-Stone Hall, located nr Stone, Staffordshire, was designed in 1855 by Edward Welby Pugin for Father Edward Huddlestone, with possible incorporation of earlier elements from a convent by CF Hansom. The Grade II listing is attributed to its architectural significance, featuring works by both Hansom and Pugin, intact survival of Pugin's design, and its historical importance as a site of Roman Catholic worship, including housing the remains of St Chad during the Reformation. The property's history spans centuries, passing through various families before being acquired by the Birmingham Roman Catholic Diocese in 1959. The house, primarily constructed of red brick with decorative blue and gault brick detailing, boasts a 'pinwheel' floor plan centred around an open-well staircase hall. The interior features richly detailed fireplaces and a chapel with salvaged architectural elements possibly from the earlier convent. The hall was closed when I visited and its owners are looking for funds for its full restoration before using it for retired clergy.

I parked along Church Lane just off the A34 and TOAL was from the same place. It's a narrow lane, that forms part of the 'Two Saints Way' OS Walk and also has two Churches along the same short road (St Michael Archangel and St Saviours).

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 09/03/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes