Corgarff Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

There is a carpark with easy access. However, on leaving the carpark, I noticed a NO DRONES sign. By this time I had already got my video and photos, the castle was also closed at this time and there were no other visitors to upset. The public road is not far, so TOAL from a distance is easy if you don't want to chance harassment
First built in the mid 1500s the tower was the fortified home of the Forbeses of Corgarff. It became derelict until 1645 where it was restored and occupied by the Marquis of Montrose before being set on fire by the Jacobites to stop the government forces from using it. In the mid 1700s the tower became a barracks for the Redcoats who were hunting down Jacobite sympathisers in Strathdon, and also stamping out illegal whisky stills and smuggling.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 12/04/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes