Dalnaspidal - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Dalnaspidal, overlooking Loch Garry and situated just south of Drumochter Pass on the A9 carriageway. I have dropped the pin where I parked. Unfortunately this spot is frequented by people who use it as a dumping ground for their chemical toilets and any other rubbish they don't want. The locals are so fed up they are quite rightly very protective. There is a very good chance you will be approached and asked what you're up to. The chap I spoke to was very polite and welcoming once he found out I was just after some photos. We had a ten minute chat and he didn't bat an eyelid when I told him I was sending a drone up, just smiled, shook my hand and thanked me for my honesty

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 25/02/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

Just to add a little more info. There are flying spots and stunning scenery along pretty much the full length of the A9, running from Bridge of Allan near Stirling, all they way up to Scrabster just north of Thurso. At 273 miles it is the longest road in Scotland, and the 5th longest A road in the UK.
At this particular spot there are no cafes, toilets, pubs etc, but it is almost always busy with tourists, campers, cyclists and walkers. Some of which have no respect for our wonderful landscape. On arrival a local soon appeared, he stood and watched me for five or so minutes before I eventually got out of the van and approached him with a cheery smile “alright mate how are you doing today? I’m just out to get some photos if that’s ok?” Of course I didn’t have to ask but he seemed quite cagey. Once we had chatted for a couple of minutes I discovered that he and other locals have to spend a lot of time clearing up, everything from chemical toilet waste to soiled nappies and general filth. It’s quite disheartening to hear, especially when he told me that the bit of land he owns to the side of his house had been flattened, landscaped and had benches etc put in at his own expense, for the sake of the tourists. If you do venture here, just be polite and curteous, you’ll be met with smiles and enthusiasm. Not that us lot would do such a thing, but take your rubbish away if you have any, he’s quite a burly chap!