Eagle's Nest, Wye Valley - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: 51.671256, -2.685940
TOAL: 51.674619, -2.684185

The walk from the carpark to the peak took about an hour. There are 2 paths; an easier, wide and steady, but longer path … and a 'strenuous path' (their words) but shorter. I chose the latter. It involved 365 ancient steps carved out of the hillside, buried deep in a dark, dank forest. Awesome. But I was panting a tad at the top. I returned down the 'easier path' which was the right move with my dodgy knees. It was -4.5c during the climb but 100% well worth it.

Wyndcliff Wood is a superb example of a lower Wye Valley gorge woodland with ancient hanging beech and yew as well as lime, ash and hazel coppice.

There is a waymarked walk (with 365 steps!) from the car park at Lower Wyndcliff to the famous Eagles Nest lookout which is one of the best viewpoints in the Wye Valley.

The viewpoint looks across the bend in the Wye to see the rocks of Wintours leap, the Severn bridges and estuary and, on a clear day, the Cotswold and Mendip hills.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/12/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes