Elieness Lighthouse - Added to Lighthouses in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Car Park and public toilets are available close to the lighthouse.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 08/12/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Thanks for adding to the map @Cragdoo

Scotland’s a bit thin on the ground for flying locations compared to some other areas of the map :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to help contribute

Among fishermen it’s not seen as wise to put it about if you had a good catch at a particular spot since the net gives access to such info to all & sundry.
The result has been found that next time you go there you can hardly move for discarded beer containers and litter. Or - you go again and find your spot is wall-to-wall with strangers drawn there by your online info. So a subculture grew around angling forums to ignore questions for “hot spots” from lazy fishers not prepared to do their own recce preparation. Obviously this is a different community, but I’m a lifetime fisherman and so was the guy that got me into droning. Maybe there’s more common ground between the two activities than is immediately obvious?
Also - Scotland’s shore is now almost completely one enormous SSSI. So if some twitcher saw - or claimed to have seen - water-birds taking to the air when a drone was in the air, he could lodge a complaint - result? Quite possibly nasty. (You can never assume yourself to be unobserved with a “bird” in the air…) Until I consulted Drone Assist I’d had NO idea about these almost universally-continuous SSSIs. Along the shores I’ve checked there’s only odd bits here’n there outside those yellow blocs. So those might be the safest areas to visit, whether they contain the features you want to video/photograph or not.
There’s even a paragraph meaning that the tradition of putting out a crab/lobster creel over a tide might now be seen as an offence.
(There’s an awful lot of new “offences” these days…)