Elvaston Castle Country Park - Added to Historic Buildings in East Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Located in Derbyshire, near to Derby and Nottingham, Elvaston Castle Country Park encompasses approximately 321 acres of open parkland, woodland and more formal historical gardens. It’s also the venue for our popular woodland festival.

At the heart of the estate lies Elvaston Castle, a gothic revival masterpiece (not open to the public) designed by James Wyatt in the early 1800s based on the original house dating back to 1633.

Today both the buildings and gardens are registered (Grade 2 and Grade 2*) as being of special architectural and historical interest.

The gardens are locally renowned for their rockwork structures and fine examples of topiary, originally introduced and designed by William Barron in the 19th century.

There’s lots to be see and do in and around the park - walking, cycling, horse riding, bird watching, picnicking, kite flying, photography, exploring the park and nature reserve… but they don’t like drones!

There is no bylaw or FRZ preventing flight but some of the pathways and bridleways that riddle the estate have ‘no drones’ signs. The Park is vast and I visited on a quiet day and the only witness to my flight was a young lad, and I presume, his mother who were both really excited to see my mini 3 Pro fly…so the choice is yours!

The estate entrance, and only car park for visitors arriving in vehicles, is off Borrowash Road between Borrowash Village and Thulston. Just follow the brown tourist signs from either direction and they’ll direct you right to the park.

Some sat navs direct vehicles off the A6 Derby bypass into Elvaston Castle Country Park via a slip road to Bridlegate Lane, Alvaston. There’s no access to the park via this route (nor turning room along its length should you commit to it). The lane is clearly marked off the by-pass with a ‘dead-end’ highways sign.

Your sat nav may direct you into the estate by a sealed bridle path off Borrowash Road, which also leads to Elvaston Cricket Club’s grounds. This access route is for authorised vehicles only, with no visitor parking permitted.

There is little parking outside of the park but the closest I’ve found is on the B5010 near Elvaston Lane where there is a layby. A short walk up the lane will take you to one of the Park entrances. I did see people had parked on the B5010 but it’s very narrow where it runs around the park and I wouldn’t risk it.

UPDATE @ 28/03/23: Post flight information revealed a Derbyshire City Council bylaw may apply to the Park. See full details in the discussion thread for this entry.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 15/03/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Nice video. I like the information you give on there being plenty to see and that there are no bylaws etc. Also like how you give instructions on how to get there. Thanks. Cheers BogeyBlack (Steve)

Unfortunately the information about there being no byelaws may be incorrect. Although Drone Scene shows Elvaston as being the in the South Derbyshire District Council area, the property itself is owned by Derbyshire County Council (as an aside, I have not managed to click anywhere on Drone Scene, using the Local Authority tool, that shows DCC).

In their response to Simon Hawkins’ FOI request, DCC fall back on the common Council “Parks and Pleasure Grounds” clause forbidding the use of model boats and aircraft.

The issue of whether these byelaws are actually enforceable has been discussed as infinitum in various threads on the forum, and, as ever, people’s experiences vary.

See further discussion here:

1 Like

Yes it does appear so, although I’ve yet to find the full bylaw that the extract came from. Did find an old 1965 version that listed applicable parks and the ECCP isn’t in it. Only Elvaston Lane is mentioned. I can fly around there as my daughter has a relation whose property backs onto the park (you can see their land other side of the trees from the topiary garden). Like I said you take your choice and risk a level 2 fine! Funny enough the bylaw I found also has other restrictions about dogs etc that are also vlearly ignored. Doubt anyone has ever been taken to court though. Other FOI requests along the lines of Simon’s have also been submitted gor UAVs to the DCC. Intrestingly they came up with a nil response.

Me too. It’s almost like they don’t want you to know. :roll_eyes:

What’s that then, 2s 6½d? :grin:

I checked and it was a maximum of £500 i think, although I recall a NT document stating it was £10. I guess it varies depending on the authority. Its the same there if your caught deficating, playing with a hard ball, damaging plants, letting dogs off their leash, sailing model boats etc, etc. You can fly a kite though… loads more control with them ay :grin:. You’ll probably be asked to leave as it would cost nearly as much to take it to court!

Thx for the comments. See above about the bylaw though. I’ve requested the DS be updated to reflect the thread discussion regarding the bylaw issue. Thx to @PingSpike for that.

Great place to fly though.:rofl::rofl:

So I wanted to fly my drone there this morning and saw this sign on the entrance of the park. This put me off so I just walked round.

I think I may try park just outside the car park (whilst it is closed) and fly the drone from there as I would be taking off and landing outside the park…

1 Like

Was a FOI request made to Derbyshire County Council ? I had a look on dronescene and clicking the map shows various district councils, but not Derbyshire County Council.

1 Like

@Hzak786 I took off directly in front of the castle using one of the picnic tables as a launch pad, but my research into the byelaw was flawed as you can see from @Earwig Jez’s learned remarks above in this thread. However, the gardeners were close by and either they couldn’t be bothered to say anything or didn’t hear or see me with the drone. I used up 1.5 batteries and was there ages.

Choose your time of day when there are less people about and go for it Hussein. What’s the worst that can happen … :thinking: :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil::rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

When I first got my M3P I flew on the show ground area at Elvaston Castle. ( just to get used to the controls ) No one bothered me at all.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the tips. I will be going tomorrow around 6am to give it a go. Hopefully I won’t bump into any Ken or Karen.

1 Like

6am’s far too early for me ( live about 10-15 mins drive away from there) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I like to go early to avoid crowds

1 Like

I flew there for about 15 to 20 mins and enjoyed it. I’m nervous about how the footage was when I have a look later at home.

Thank you guys for the encouragement!

1 Like

Yes, it’s here:

Their response was:

Derbyshire County Council (DCC) does not have any byelaws specifically
relating to recreational use of drones.

Source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/freedom_of_information_request_b_621#incoming-2591655

2 Likes

PingSpike, my reason for asking about Derbyshire County Council, is simply because DCC doesn’t actually show up on Dronescene. North, South and Derbyshire Dales district councils do though. :wink:

1 Like