Findlater Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Pronounced Finlatter, the first historical reference to the castle is from 1246. King Alexander III of Scotland repaired this castle in the 1260s in preparation for an invasion by King Haakon IV of Norway. The Norwegians took and held the castle for some time but the castle that remains is from the 14th-century rebuilding. It has some pretty good history behind it which can be found at Findlater Castle - Wikipedia
Nearby is Findlatter doocot which is also worth a visit, especially as you have to walk past it to get to the castle! There are LOTS of seabirds to contend with, I wouldn't advise going in nesting season as you WILL lose your drone.
Parking is easy and so is the walk to the castle, little more than 10 minutes. It can get busy with walkers, runners, and tourists and the mist can come in very quickly to shroud the castle, so get in, get your shots, and get gone.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 17/09/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

@AlbionDrones this is a place for you next time you’re up this way. I’ve done a wee video but quite frankly, it’s shit and needs your touch :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Coolio, we will take a look when next in the area…