Goddards Quarry - Added to FPV in East Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

On the photo, P = parking, F = good places to setup and fly.

Lots of rock faces to dive. Some sketchy looking cliffs.

Much smaller than Darlton, but worth a look if you want somewhere that’s out of the way and away from people.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 07/08/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

On the photo, P = parking, F = good places to setup and fly.

Lots of rock faces to dive. Some sketchy looking cliffs.

Much smaller than Darlton, but worth a look if you want somewhere that's out of the way and away from people.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 07/08/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

Entry point

Either fly from here or follow the path on the right

Bit more open here

Fly from down in the bottom if you want

Two Flight Videos

Look like good weather as well. Nice height and text-book landing.

The area from the first video is pretty open but one of the rock walls looks pretty unstable. It’s an interesting place to fly. I might go back tomorrow and rip some more packs, but this wind we have is pretty annoying and the quarry seems to funnel it, so the place I was flying in the first video I had about a 20mph wind blowing into me. :slight_smile:

As for the height, it’s one of the perks of flying in the middle of nowhere. I reckon I got no higher than probably 60-70m. I’ve been higher in Darlton. Still it’s an easy thing to do to get a good look at the area, also i knew I’d be making a DS entry about it.

I visited here today. It’s a great location for flying, far from the crowds, and very peaceful.

If you go to the Drone Scene link at the top you can register that you have also flown here :+1:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @PathfinderFPV :grin:

1 Like

I just registered it, thank you for highlighting the spot. It is a nice find!

1 Like

Sorry, I was AFK for 2 months due to, well some stuff. I haven’t been there in a while. I expect it is the same. Did you fly Darlton, too? It’s the next quarry beyond Goddards.

I have no flight ready quads at the minute, but am looking to solder some up this week.

What do you fly, Grockerman?

I’m just using my Mini 2 at the moment. I’m thinking of building an FPV drone next year after I crashed my previous one a few months back on a expensive learning curve :smile:. Dariton is on my list when I’m the area.

The only problem per se with Goddards is the rather sketchy rock face you have to walk past to get into the bottom bit. if you look at it closely, large chunks of it are held in place by gravity and not much else. I wonder how much will collapse this winter. I will probably avoid it, if it snows and stick to Darlton. Flying Darlton in the snow is sweet, if you go in the main area at the top of the hill.