Grey Mare's Tail - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission obtained.

Site is run by National Trust for Scotland. Drone flight by kind permission of NTS. Note that Drone flying is not allowed on site between 1st April and 31st July. Flights allowed at other times by seeking permission of the site manager. Operator ID, Flyer ID and Public Liability Insurance required.
Parking is available on site £3. TOAL allowed on site.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 05/03/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

7 Likes

I want to fly here @Gogs1, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?

Hi wrsdrone. I have added the parking and TOAL markers. There are two official parking areas at the site and it costs £3 to park and usually plenty of spaces even at busy times. The site is quite big so there are several areas where you can take off and land and it would be best to decide on the day depending on how many people are about. The TOAL that I have marked is a stone circle area, just across the bridge over the water, with seating around and and an information board. This suited for the day I was there, it was a quick flight as it was very windy and only about a couple of people about. However at busier times there might be people sitting here and/or picnicking so Like I said best to choose your TOAL on the day.

2 Likes

I want to fly here @Gogs1, have you got any other tips or advice?

Only thing is they say no drones policy between 1st April and 31st July as it can be busy with people walking. Flying at other times by permission of NTS. However it is very open countryside all around so you would be able to pick an off-site TOAL. When it is windy you can get turbulence if you fly right into the waterfall gorge. There are plenty of possible take off points on the site and if you are fit you can walk up the steep path to Loch Skene at the top. Pick a good take off point halfway up and you will get both the waterfall and the Loch.

2 Likes

Great insight @Gogs1 - thanks for sharing :smiley:

2 Likes

I want to fly here @Gogs1, have you got any other tips or advice?

1 Like

Hi Nigeb
Sorry I haven’t got back to you sooner. They say no drones allowed between 1st April and 31st July. However there is plenty land around where you could take off and not be on the site. It can be quite a busy place during the summer with loads of walkers. If you are fit you could walk up the steep path to the top and get some good shots of Loch Skeen at the top.

1 Like