ICI Power Station - Added to Historic Buildings in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

The power station and buildings have been Abandoned since 2000s and the buildings going to ruins. Plenty to see and explore with the drone as there are also smaller buildings situated around the grounds.
History:
The Power station is situated on the old ICI site which was a leader in explosive and chemical manufacturing. Many processes in explosive manufacture require steam, heat or power - in most explosive factories, this is provided by at least one on-site power plant, and ICI Ardeer was no exception. The power plant still standing is not the original, it probably dates from the '40s or '50s. Three coal-fired boilers provided steam which was sent through insulated overground pipes to buildings all over the factory, and there was also enough steam to drive two electrical generators.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 24/04/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

Did you venture inside?

It’s pretty interesting.

1 Like

Mmhhhh, I am working 20 minutes away from there today and tomorrow. Going to have to try and find some drone time I think :thinking:
Definitely looks worth a visit

1 Like

It’s a great place.

You could easily lose a day walking about exploring all the old magazines and buildings if you like that kind of thing.

One thing to note is that part of the site is owned by Chemring Energetics and still a live explosives site.

It’s pretty easy to identify the live part as the fences are all intact, covered in motion detectors and official secrets act signage.

I’ve not been in a few years but metal theives had stripped a lot of it out.

There was loads of equipment and test rigs back in the day. Was a seriously cool place.

3 Likes

Yeahbit does look pretty interesting for a walkabout, cheers for the info. Didnt manage today, but im going tontry and get onto work early tomorrow so I can get away early

1 Like