Needles Eye - Added to Monuments in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

The obelisk at Wentworth Woodhouse, also known as 'the Needle's Eye', was built between 1722 and 1728 by Thomas Watson-Wentworth. It is a slim arch structure that was originally called 'Obelisk in Lee Wood'. The obelisk is one of the earliest ornamental structures in the park and is thought to resemble the eye of a needle. It stands alone in a tranquil corner of the park, adding to the estate's picturesque landscape. I parked on Street Lane and followed the footpath to the structure TOAL from the footpath

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 10/06/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

6 Likes

Very unusual building!

Yes it is one of 3 follies on the Wentworth Estate including Hoober Stand and Kepples Collumb

1 Like

I want to fly here @Woody305, have you got any other tips or advice?

Hi @TheBinman. Nothing to it, really. Just park up either where I marked or in the parking area at the end of Street Lane. Then take the footpath at the side of the house that is there, and Bob’s your uncle, you arrive at another gate that allows you to walk around it if you would like a closer look. Although it’s a footpath, I was there for about an hour and never saw a single person. I’m guessing depending on when you go, it could be busy at times.

1 Like

I’ll probably visit either early morning or late evening, to minimise the chance of clashing with other visitors, then I’ll be able fly the Avata 2 in peace, without having to worry about upsetting anyone.

For 12 years, I worked only a 5 minute drive from that location and I never knew it was there. :+1:t2:

1 Like

No problem you have fun with it. Im afraid if I had an Avatar it would be broken by now :wink: