One Cold Night in Birmingham, UK

A work trip to Birmingam to attend the Annual Apprenticeship Conference at the ICC - where I was presenting a workshop along with my line manager - afforded a couple of opportunities to fly our MINI3 Pro, the first being in the evening after a short walk from the hotel to the Centenary Square.

The temperature was about 1C, and the Centenary Square was pretty deserted, so after affixing 3 strobes I had an 8 minute flight, which yielded the footage included…

Although I have flow the MINI3 Pro at night before, this location was close in to many obstacles and buildings, and when turning - even in the slower cine mode - the angular rotation appeared to cause some blurring - possibly the shutter speed set toolong due to the overall brightness - which meant some of the footage was not useable…

Lesson learned, moving forwards any night flying in similar circumstance will mean turning the drone very slowly to prevent the issue on other footage…

Sunrise the following morning gave me a second flight oportunity, which wil hopefully be edited in the next day or two…

36 Likes

Great video, brilliant colours thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Nice flight, I flew there in the daylight on Saturday, great spot but you do have to keep an eye open for buildings.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks Mark, those pesky buildings and other obstructions have a nasty habit of catching you off guard, hence I didnt fly too close to anything or try anything too difficult…

Had another fly the following morning at sunrise, video to follow later this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotta love what this little beauty can capture at night !

1 Like

Yup, for such a small drone it is a mighty performer…

:+1:

1 Like

@AlbionDrones Great night flight Suzanne. I’ve been told by @Firstadekit Ade that there’s some dodgy places at night in the centre and go with backup if you intend to fly there … so a brave one too! :rofl:

Out of interest, what settings did you use Suzanne?

2 Likes

Yeah, in future I think I will have backup, I normally fly with hubby, but that night was a night away with work, but there were plenty of folks walking past so I didnt feel too visible or vulnerable, but I was very conscious of my surroundings and watching what was happening…

I flew usnig the AUTO settings, with a -0.3 Exposure compensation, to reduce burnout in the brighter lights, which seemed to work ok, bu any turns were an issue, I have learned the lesson on this and will ensure they are really slow and smooth next time I fly at night…

Result was ok overall though :slight_smile:

I’ll say :+1: especially if in full auto. Hardly any noise even on a 55inch UHD tele, so wondered what the ISO was. Highest I can go with the mini 4 is 400 without introducing noise. The night mode is good but I’ve been told HLG with manual settings is better. The jury is still out on that one!

1 Like

Lol, I watched a MINI4 Pro Night Mode test last night and it looked awesome, but I have to say the MIN3 Pro did well enough, I will upgrade it at some point, but at present I am getting good enough results for me - although it would be nice to match the MINI4 Pro senso with my AIR3 sensors…

1 Like

Nice video. Wish it looked that nice on the ground. I have grown up knowing the city and it is not a pleasant as it used to be but I think that is going on in every City now.

2 Likes

Thanks… Have another coming tomorrow of the sunrise on Tuesday morning, similar view but in the golden hour…

Now that was a great night flights and drone catching lovely lighting… Loved it.
:+1: :pray: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you kindly :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are more than welcome my love… It was a complete pleasure to watch.
:+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:

1 Like