Portsmouth Harbour - Added to Coastal Scenery in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

There is a great place to stand for pictures of ships entering the harbour (see pins) but Gosport doesn't provide so many places to take off when photographing either the naval dockyard, the Gosport side of the harbour or both…

The problem is double yellows on many of the roads. One thing you can do is use the Explosion! Museum car park (and enjoy the museum as well. On the map it is the red building SSW of the pin. I walked from there to the open area of the park to fly a quick mission at dusk on the shortest day of 2021 just so I could check out the area for potential TOAL sites.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 21/12/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

I’ve flown from the ferry terminal on the Gosport side and the Round Tower/The Hard on Portsmouth side. There are plenty of sights to see with busy shipping activity.

There are a number of military zones that should be avoided like Fort Blockhouse and HMNB Portsmouth. The habour itself is under control of the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth QHM Portsmouth - GOV.UK I can’t find any mention of drone rules from them.

Update: oh yes, the north west harbour is close to Fleetlands Heliport and is a flight restricted zone.

2 Likes

Yes, the Fleetlands FRZannoyling extends just over a car park / boat ramp that would make a good TOAL.

I was working in the Brockhurst industrial estate and didn’t have a great deal of time to get anywhere before it got dark. So I went to the Explosion! Museum which I had scoped out before starting work and parked outside in a bay that did not appear to have any restrictions on it. And I did notice yellow lines along the roads. I also tried to find a decent spot at the north end of the Milennium Bridge but no luck.

Then I scarpered back to Hayling to face my wee dog who is NOT impressed when I get a day’s work and leve her!

1 Like

Nice one good shot👍

Excellent Pic… :grin: