Queen Square Gardens WC1 - Added to Parks and Recreation in London

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

One of the closest places you can legally to the West End. The square is managed by London Borough of Camden so no policy in place banning take off and landing.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 09/01/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

4 Likes

Thanks. I thought that this would be a great place to fly too but when I tried to launch my DJI Mini 3 Pro from Queen Square the DJI Fly App warned me that it’s restricted and refused to allow me to take off. Wondering if DJI restricts takeoff in the Specified Area and, if so, how can I overcome this?

Yep, DJI’s Mickey Mouse map has now extended itself to cover most of Central London, despite the CAA opposite.

See the below marked area for the extended restrictive area…

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that. Very disappointing though. I hope they will eventually correct these discrepancies but I doubt it somehow.

1 Like

DJI do unlock all these areas within a couple of minutes of you applying. It’s a bit of a pain but doesn’t take long. I’m slowly adding most of the local area back bit by bit. You can get authorisation for 364 days. For the reason on the request I always state “This area is unrestricted with CAA” and attach a screenshot from Altitude Angel.

I added a video of the area a couple of days ago… Queens Square Gardens & Great Ormond Street London by drone 4K - YouTube There’s a couple more videos of the area on my channel as well…

Paul

For anyone else wanting to fly this area, DJI are responsive to unlocking requests here. I have just managed to get them to unlock the area shown here.

Paul

Gower street, with UCL, would be some cools shots.

So despite them throwing this ridiculous restriction over most of central London, they are ok about about requests on an individual basis for hobbyists. :man_shrugging:

How did you go about it, via the app or a website link?

Its an annoying situation that will hopefully be fixed at some point. No idea why it’s happened.

I have been applying via the app. Responses only seem to take about 10 minutes.