Ruthven Barracks - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Ruthven Barracks were built by George II’s government in the early 1700s after the failed Jacobite uprising of 1715. The troops stationed there were to maintain law and order and enforce the Disarming Act of 1716.

The barracks saw action twice. A 300-strong Jacobite attack failed to take the barracks in 1745, but a more heavily-armed attack the next year forced the barracks’ surrender. The Jacobites rallied here after their defeat at Culloden before conceding.

The site was undergoing some works on my visit and there was scaffold everywhere, so not very photogenic. The work is expected to be completed mid August so I will be visiting again to try and get some better shots. There is a small car park close by and also a public footpath, so no problems for TOAL.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 05/08/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

Nice one Darren @mynameisjoe :+1:. Ruthven is on my hit list too, your Drone Scene entry just confirms that it’s worth doing. I didn’t bother stopping to take photos when I was over in Scotland earlier this year because of the scaffolding, though I was hoping to get back over in September to rectify that. It looks like that won’t be happening now as my missus can’t get off work so it will have to wait until next year.

1 Like

Called in a week ago on Sunday, just uploaded the footage, no scaffolding now… Good location, although first thing on a Sunday morning it was busy - think folks were visiting until the Wildlife Park and Folk Museum opened at 1000am…

2 Likes

A great spot, and great video thanks. My new target is February 2023 but we’ll see how it goes. :snowman_with_snow:

1 Like

Good luck with February, may be some snow around then, which would look awesome, however may also be inaccessible and windy… I hope the weather Gods smile on you…

We were up at Loch Morlich in February this year but it was too windy to fly and it was raining when we passed Ruthven on the way home. Fingers crossed for next time.:grin:

1 Like

I’ve flown here too @mynameisjoe :grin:

2 Likes

Well @mynameisjoe @AlbionDrones, I finally got a very brief flight at Ruthven on the way down from Aviemore today, just a quick stop at the layby on the A9 for a couple of photos (Mini 3 Pro). Will be back in the summer with the Mavic 2 Pro and more time to spare. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve flown here too @mynameisjoe :grin:

1 Like

Paul, if you get two minutes could you drop a pin on the map please for your take off point?

It’ll help others who also want to fly here :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve just added a new Take Off And Landing marker to this location @mynameisjoe :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes