Salisbury Cathedral - Added to Places of Worship in South West

The flight took place in December :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

can you provide any legal documentation that states this? and do remember that the drone operator was controling the drone and taking off and landing the craft from land with public access.

also can you provide any evidence of any restricted air space?

you can check the air space restrictions by clicking the link at the top of this thread (the link to dronescene) as this is where most of us here do our flight planning to make sure that where we are flying is legal.

because we are responsible drone operators here.

we too work to a code, the drone code setout by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Where did you launch and land from?

I inquired with the Cathedral, not specifically about drones but about accessing the Cathedral grounds without buying a ticket to visit the interior.

They told me that The Cathedral Close, which are the expansive lawns around the Cathedral, was open to the public but that no drones were allowed.

Again, I didn’t even ask about drones, as I mainly wanted first to take pictures from the grounds and wasn’t sure if I needed to buy a ticket.

So the Cathedral property is a large footprint around the building itself and then around that are private properties.

To technically comply with their rules, you’d have to launch/land from some distance?

And you go to the north and you’re in Salisbury center, a busy place still in early September with a lot of visitors.

I haven’t really ventured far south or west of the Cathedral site but they also seem surrounded by private homes?

:point_up:

1 Like

Hi @ag11, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

Thanks, that seems right in the middle of shops and restaurants, then you flew over the city center southwards towards the Cathedral?

Not really. Scotts Lane is very quiet. TOAL from the roof the car heading straight above Bedwin Street. Clear view of the cathedral from the bottom of the street with the Mini 2.

Maybe I’m missing something.

What is TOAL, like hand launch and grab?

So you chose to launch and land some distance away because the Cathedral prohibits drones?

Meant to add, do you have a special type of certification?

Because it would seem you’d fly over “uninvolved” persons to take off from that location and fly towards the Cathedral.

Take off and land

Sub 250g - uninvolved persons not relevant

Check out our own good to go

1 Like

What drone have you got?

Mavic 2 Pro

So you launched from the roof of the car while it was moving?

And also landed on a moving car?

You cannot TOAL with that in the city due to it’s weight.

Eh? No. I parked up, launched the Mini 2 from the roof of the car whilst parked and landed whilst stationery. That said, I like your version more.

:grinning:

1 Like

Guess that counts as indoors?

1 Like

This image shows the land owned by Industrial and Provident Society who own the land upon which The Cathedral Church Of The Blessed Virgin Mary of Salisbury sits, to give it its full title.

Outside of the purple line you are good to go, subject to any other ownership.

I’ve flown here too @clinkadink :grin:

1 Like