Scolty Hill, near Banchory - Added to Monuments in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

I parked in the Forestry Commission car park, AB31 6PT. There is normally a parking charge (coins only), but the machine was not in operation when I visited. From there it is a case of following first the forest road on foot, then a series of maps trails, some of which are quite steep. Not suitable for anyone with restricted mobility.

The tower at the top is the 1840 monument to General William Burnett: see Scolty Hill - Wikipedia for details.

There are plenty of suitable take-off spots at the top of the hill, but note that it can be very windy.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 11/08/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

Good info @kvetner , cheers! I’m through banchory every six weeks or so and never saw this before, will pay a visit on the next trip :+1:

2 Likes

You can climb up the tower itself, views were magnificent.

How did you manage to get up the hill. I tried just a week ago and every access point is blocked. Tree felling operations have closed a huge chunk of it. I started going up an unmarked route but my wife was nagging that it was not safe…… should have persevered.

I went up yesterday and today. The car park is open. The main forest road is open although the two main walking trails are closed. The forest road leads through an area of completed timber felling, then there’s a gate, and after the gate there are several routes to the top - I took the left hand one, which was very steep.