Southwick, Hampshire - Added to Historic Buildings in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Southwick is a village almost entirely owned by the Southwick Estate. Southwick Hall (HMS Dryad) was the headquarters of SHAEF and was the centre for D-Day planning in WW2

I parked on Back :Lane. passenger side tight to the hedge about 100 yards from the junction with the High Street. There is a driveway that appears to belong to the house with a flagpole in its front garden but it is also the start of a county council footpath. Take it over a footbridge over a tiny stream and the pathway leads to open fields, in part used to grow Christmas trees. From the path you can launch and get enough height to photograph the village or take a 360 pano…

Pick your colour, Red or Gold to enjoy a drink at one of the Lions in the High Street.

There's another nearby site that will give a view of the village with the Defence Police School in the foreground, see details in the discussion thread on Grey Arrows.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 22/09/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

Thanks again @macspite for adding to the DroneScene map.

1 Like

chrome_qCYN042peX

The “6” on the footpath is where I flew from

An alternative footpath runs from the large layby at the south of the village that is on the side of the B2177 (signs say closed but they are lying). The footpath runs to the corener of Pitymoor lane, near Comphouse Farm. I parked in a car length space that has been made in the bank on the corner. Your car will be tilted about 30 degrees and opening car doors " uphill" builds biceps.

From the stile across the road you can follow the footpath, I used what3words /// The simplest way to talk about location as a launch site

2 Likes