St Briavels Castle, Wye Valley - Added to Castles and Fortifications in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking & TOAL: 51.737865, -2.641342

It was a complete white out due to low cloud. I was hoping that Briavel would have been high enough for a cloud inversion, alas no. Too good to pass up the chance though, so grabbed a moody, misty shot of the small castle grounds.

Built in the early 12th century, St Briavel’s was an important royal castle on the frontier with Wales and the administrative and judicial centre of the Forest of Dean – a royal hunting ground where the game was protected and the king alone allowed to hunt.

Edward I added a fine twin-towered gatehouse to St Briavel's in 1292. During his reign the castle was a crossbow bolt factory, using local Forest of Dean iron to produce weapons for his campaigns against the Welsh and Scots. After the conquest of Wales the gatehouse became a debtor's prison, and the castle is now a youth hostel, set in wonderful walking country.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 02/12/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

6 Likes