St Mary's Church, Stafford - Added to Places of Worship in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

My home town's Grade I listed Collegiate Church of St Mary dates from the early 13th century, with 14th century transepts and 15th century clerestories and crossing tower.

Excavations in 1954 revealed the adjacent late Anglo-Saxon church of St Bertelin.

The church was collegiate when recorded in the Domesday Book when there were 13 Prebendary Canons. It became a Royal Peculiar around the thirteenth century, exempt from the jurisdiction of the Bishop, but this caused conflict and culminated in December 1258 when the new bishop, Roger de Meyland, came to Stafford with many armed men who forced entry and assaulted the canons, chaplains, and clerks.

The church survived as a collegiate institution until the dissolution of colleges and chantries in 1548.

The Church contains:
The Chest tomb to Sir Edward Aston (died 1568).
Wall tablet to Thomas (d. 1787) & Barbara Clifford (d. 1786) by John Francis Moore.
Wall tablet to Humphrey Hodgetts (d. 1730).
Wall tablet to Izaak Walton (d. 1683).

There are a few short stay parking spaces next to shops off St Mary's passage and a large carpark at Tesco Extra (3 hours limit) that is just a short distance away via Victoria Park. The Church is about a 5 minute walk from Stafford Train Station.

Stafford County Council have a "Drone ban Policy", however they do not have a Byelaw to back it up.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 26/12/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes