Stafford Glider Club, Seighford, Staffordshire - Added to Everything Else in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

This is the site of the WWII RAF Seighford. Most of the site is currently leased by the Staffordshire Gliding Club who moved to Seighford in 1992. The main runway is grass NE/SW and 1000 metres long and can be accessed by the public for walking but prior authorisation is required from the club to reduce the risk!. The club has a membership of 100 and a fleet of three two-seater training gliders and two single-seaters for qualified solo pilots. The one remaining tarmac runway to the South is used by a driving experience company. The old control tower is still standing as are a number of wartime buildings which were used for many years by displaced Polish refugee families. There is plenty of free parking available but the road to the clubhouse is a bit rough. The Driving experience is located next to the airfield and is signposted from the main routes into Seighford (J13 or J14 off M6 follow signs to Stafford College, then Doxey then onto Seighford). The DVLA test site is just down the road and I approached from Doxey Stafford.

The airfield was closed on the day that I took the photo and Stafford Glider Club can only be contacted via email or their website. Obviously, the Clubhouse is open on the days the airfield is in operation so although not in a FRZ best speak with a representative there.

There is a public path across the glider airfield and the club contact number for checking if the airfield is in use is
07922 658314.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 12/08/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like