Wells Cathedral - Added to Places of Worship in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking/TOAL: 51.210085, -2.640376

I parked for free on Tor Street, about 100m east of the cathedral.

The present Cathedral was begun about 1175 on a new site to the north of an old minster church.

Bishop Reginald de Bohun brought the idea of a revolutionary architectural style from France, and Wells was the first English cathedral to be built entirely in this new Gothic style.

The first building phase took about eighty years, building from east to west, culminating in the magnificent West Front. About 300 of its original medieval statues remain: a glorious theatrical stone backdrop for feast day processions.

The wells or springs, still seen today in the Bishop’s Palace garden (next to the cathedral), are the reason for the original settlement of this area.

Stone Age flints and Roman pottery have been found near the springs and the earliest evidence of worship is a Romano-British burial chamber, which may have been Christian.

Over this a Saxon mortuary chapel was built and in about 705, A.D. King Ine of Wessex gave permission for a minster church to be founded here.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 19/02/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

I was there just over a week ago, lovely place!

1 Like

Wells is a favourite of ours, it’s been raining both times I’ve been there with the mini 2, great to see a different angle.

I was there last summer took off at the green in front of the cathedral got some great video and landed. Nobody even know I had taken off or landed. Great art exhibition on in cathedral as well,