White Sheet Camp - Added to Iconic Landscapes and Ancient Sites in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: 51.105687, -2.276374
TOAL: 51.109462, -2.276490

There is parking at the bottom of the lane, just off Manor Road. Although the muddy farmers track leading up to White Sheet Camp is about 1km. I did manage to get 3/4 way up there in my car before abandoning it, and walking the rest of the way.

Note: this is National Trust land and there are frequently NOTAMs in place for gliders nearby, so alway check before you head out.

White Sheet Camp is a neolithic enclosure dating back to 3,000 BC, and an Iron Age hill fort at the top. There are also Bronze Age barrows, some of which are clearly visible. It is incredible to think they have survived for 3 to 4,000 years.

The hill is owned and managed by the National Trust, and the land is grazed by livestock.

The walk to the top is steep but rewarding, with views across to the Stourhead estate where you can clearly see the mansion house, the obelisk and in the distance, King Alfred's Tower. Look in another direction and you can make out the town of Mere, and the distinctive Castle Hill which overlooks the settlement.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 19/02/2023. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes