240fps Wood turning

Okay… a slightly unusual use for a drone, lol

Filmed at 240fps, so 1080p, whilst sat on the windowsill.

Just wanted to see how it behaved, certainly needs plenty of light!

3 Likes

The Health and safety in me just Screamed Nooooooo :scream:

2 Likes

240fps? :blush:

I am wearing a full face visor and it’s safest to turn in short sleeved tops (no risk of tangling).

Biggest risk is the bowl jumping off the lathe if I get a catch!

yep, 240fps 1080p on the MA2

1 Like

Is you sticking your hand in there :scream:

240fps? Not 24fps? :thinking:

lol, my hand is safely behind the tool rest :wink:

240fps, not 24fps - correct.

Ok :blush:

I have slowed the video to 3/4 speed in edit, the rest of the slomo is from the drone itself.

1 Like

I have a mate that is missing 2 fingers from sticking them where he shouldn’t have! :slightly_smiling_face:

I work for a company that sells brake disc machining lathes, I use to demo them and train Technicians how to use them, the first thing I would show them was that I still had all my fingers attached and I wanted them to stay that way :slightly_smiling_face: let’s not have any claret spilt I would say :joy:

The only cuts I have received so far are from mishandling the carbide gouges - too easy to slide your arm past the tips!

I do play safe and I do still have all my fingers - it’s a great hobby and the realisation of my creative side, after some 50 years!

Here’s one I’ve just finished (in yew):

4 Likes

I dont think many people have seen skilled wood turner’s at work on the lathe. It’s pretty scary if you’ve never tried or seen it being done before, but in the right hands it’s actually less dangerous than using a completely manual metal working lathe.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Brilliant!
As a woodturner myself I would never have thought of using my drone to film the process. Got me thinking now.
May I ask what finish you used on that lovely piece of Yew?

2 Likes

Hi Straze,

That was sealed with cellulose sealant, sanded thru the grits to 600, then treated to about 5 coats of Danish Oil with a rub down with ultrafine wirewool (0000 guage) in-between and then finally sealed with 3 coats of polyurethane varnish to get the gloss, again with wirewooling in-between.

Not following you?

Thank you.
That’s quiet a process but obviously well worth it judging by your results. I will have a go at that on the Yew in my stash.
I know a lot of turners scorn the use of wire wool but I find it works well on most woods I turn, especially Yew.
Got a large figured trunk section of Yew that’s been slowly drying for the past 6or7 years that’s due to be cut into usable sections this week, hoping to get some good stock from it. I’ve seen some of the same tree that’s already been used in guitar making and is looks amazing.

1 Like

Excellent on all counts, Fabulous to see the craftsmanship and what a great way to squeeze the best out of your aircraft!
Inspiring Thank You

1 Like